SOLVED Erratic boot

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive on which I keep many of my files. There's a shortcut to it on the desktop.

If it's plugged in before boot, the boot doesn't work'

I have to disconnect it and the PC boots ok.

What can cause this and how can I overcome it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you first turn on your computer, press the button it mentions on screen to go into your Bios Settings.

Once in the Bios settings, check your Boot order. It's possible the boot order is set to read from USB drives before it attempts to read your internal hard/ssd drive.

If that is the case, simply change the boot order, so it reads your internal hard/ssd drive first, then you should be able to leave the external drive plugged in without it preventing Windows from booting.

Reaction score
I had a Seagate external drive that did that for a while a few years ago. I don't think I changed anything but the drivers or OS was updated.

Do you have OEM software that runs on that drive or is it just storage?

I might look for firmware updates for the drive or Bios updates for your system. See if the OEM has any info on the situation.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I had a Seagate external drive that did that for a while a few years ago.
Same here.
Never did bother figuring it out, and....
although my memory is not all that good anymore, as I remember it was unique to a particular HP desktop computer.

I don't recall having the issue when it was attached to other computers.

Reaction score
When you first turn on your computer, press the button it mentions on screen to go into your Bios Settings.

Once in the Bios settings, check your Boot order. It's possible the boot order is set to read from USB drives before it attempts to read your internal hard/ssd drive.

If that is the case, simply change the boot order, so it reads your internal hard/ssd drive first, then you should be able to leave the external drive plugged in without it preventing Windows from booting.

Yes, it was the boot order; USB first. Changed it.

Ask a Question