SOLVED Error message - "Windows cannot access \\[computer]...You do not have permission..."

MFL

Reaction score
I have struck out on this problem for a couple of years, but have additional information now. One computer on my home network is inaccessible from the others on File Explorer. When you click on it, the above error message pops up. I have made every recommended change to Services on it, SMB is active and sharing is open to everyone. but the error message remains.

However, I can map drives on the inaccessible one from the other computers on the network - with one limitation. When Windows asks what network folder I would like to map, I cannot browse to it because I get the same error message. Instead, I must enter the DOS path to the mapped folder.

Any ideas on a fix?

Reaction score
You appear to have covered all the possibilities. (Not sure what "services" you altered?) But have you ensured that in Settings - Network and Internet - Sharing options. You have scrolled down to Password and protected sharing, and turned it off

1590308899052.png

Reaction score
Im having the same problem but get Access denied error , incorrect credentials or out of date password error

MFL

Reaction score
All the private network sharing permissions on each network computer are on and password protection is off. These are the services that are set to automatic, per online suggestions -

Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
UPnP Device Host
Peer Name Resolution Protocol
Peer Networking Grouping
Peer Networking Identity Manager.

Using Browse when mapping to a network drive on the inaccessible computer from another computer doesn't work. I have to type in the DOS path to the folder on the inaccessible computer to make the connection.

Reaction score
ea computer needs a "Share" set, then make sure "Discovery" is set on ea computer, usually the easiest method I found is
1. Set No Pass needed
or
2. Set ea computer with the same Pass. - you can use different user names but make the pass word the same.
also recommend that you change the pass weekly.

MFL

Reaction score
All the computers besides the inaccessible one have access to each other. The inaccessible one has access to all the other computers, but the others cannot access the inaccessible one. Every computer is set for no password and has discovery on.

The problem lies somewhere in the inaccessible computer's software, but I have not been able to discover it. It is not a router problem; the problem is the same on different routers I have used.

Reaction score
You might try to remove the share access reboot, then reset share access, reboot and try again.
what is the OS compared to the other computers, is it private or public, and the others. i do assume you have ran network troubleshooter on every computer to access the inaccessible one.

MFL

Reaction score
This is a private network. I tried removing the share access, rebooting, resetting access, then rebooting, but it made no difference. I have run network troubleshooting on the inaccessible computer, and it could not find any problem. I just ran it on a couple of other network computers, and they couldn't find a problem either.

Reaction score
duh duh trying to see what or why.
Now are all the OSs the same.?
do you consider 1 the master or main computer, if yes, it should be booted first. or do all have the same - like I have 1 that has all the external HHD/SSDs with all the backup - and once in a while It has be be Booted before any other, to make sure all have access, all mine are Windows 10 - 3 are Pro and 1 Enterprise. and Enterprise is Main.

MFL

Reaction score
All are Windows 10 Home. The inaccessible one replaced the one I used to install the router when it was new. The replaced one was accessible from the other computers. The inaccessible one is equally inaccessible when it is on our home network at another house.

I have not tried booting it first, but will give it a shot.

Reaction score
ok, let me know. I'm still looking thru all the notes....
notes: just in case
Correct Subnet and IP addresses – You really shouldn’t have this problem if all your computers are connected to the same router, but it’s still worth mentioning.

Make sure that the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway are the same for all computers. If these are not the same, then you will have issues connecting the computers over the network.

You can view these details by going to Start, Run, typing CMD and then typing IPCONFIG /ALL at the command prompt on each computer.
--------------------
annoying but works
It’s best to have passwords on all accounts and to create a new account on each computer with the same username and password.
------------------------------
AV to make sure
Uninstall anti-virus and Internet Security – Finally, make sure that all your anti-virus programs are either turned off or uninstalled to test out the connection.
--------------------------------
Firewall. I have at times also Disabled Firewall. to test ea computer. and found that 1 had a minor issue. fixed it then all was OK
--------------------------

Last edited:

MFL

Reaction score
I tried turning off all the computers and restarting the inaccessible one first. No change. All the other computers can access each other easily, so the Subnet & IP addresses must be okay. Ditto for the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. I have shut off the antivirus and firewall on the inaccessible one several times while testing access to it, and it made no difference.

Reaction score
inaccessible one - have you did a repair update to reset all that might be corrupt or missing in System Files.
and only other thing is a AIO Repair program might do the job. They have a FREE one, also a paid on, i use the FREE and leave with
many clients,
tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio4.8

MFL

Reaction score
What repair update? I do not want to run anything ends up requiring me to reinstall all my programs afterwards. I may not have run scannow before, so I am trying it now.

Reaction score
Windows has had "Repair Update" since Windows XP, and is much easier now than ever.
To make this very simple. Take the Install ISO that you have. uncompress the iso into your %user%\your name\download
then click setup, this repairs any corruption in Windows while IT DOES NOT TOUCH YOUR DATA .
Any version of Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 this will work. you also might try
command prompt as admin (SFC /scannow) to let windows fix any Corrupt System Files. it does give you a log so you can tell if all has been fixed. some time you have to run SFC more than 1 time...

MFL

Reaction score
I ran sfc /scannow twice without solving the problem. My Windows is factory installed so I don't have an installation disk.

Reaction score
OK easy to fix, search for MediaCreationTool. MS will see what you have an then you ask them to DL the proper and make a ISO, and Burn it to USB.. and 8GB USB will work. or then you have a Genuine MS approved ISO to use. any time you need, It also will allow you to CLEAN INSTALL and get the same OEM Genuine Activation. use link below

use option 2 tool to create media (USB is recommended) since smaller and fast than DVD
1590674101864.png

MFL

Reaction score
Easy, it is not. I now have MediaCreationTool2004 & a Windows iso file sitting on a USB drive. Microsoft says nothing about using them to repair Windows 10.

Reaction score
It was explained many times on MS Forum. to repair install, and since Windows XP this feature has worked, and been explained.
take the USB insert it and run setup. or if that scares you uncompress all the files on the USB to your user Download folder in a folder called ISO. run the setup from there and follow instructions. it is easy, it does work,

I ran sfc /scannow twice without solving the problem. My Windows is factory installed so I don't have an installation disk.
you never said if SFC fixed and issues or had more to fix. many times system files can be corrupt and windows will still run. Not perfect but will run,
many different things can be attempted, to try and fix this issue, since it really is not know what exactly the issue is.. all we can do is simply try to fix. The first thing is we have to insure that Windows is in top shape. with NO ISSUES. then to try and fix all the other stuff. then we need to have a pretty good idea on what isin you inaccessible system. (Programs, malware, AV, trojans, cracks, hacks, and if you have allowed any thing via exception to stay installed. What 3d party programs do you have installed, are they all genuine or patched.

a nice program to assist in this is BelArc, (FREE) then save the scan to a txt file, then zip the file so you can attach, and members can see what you have so as to assist. It also will check and give you some idea

Attachments

• Belarc Advisor - Computer Profile.txt
    113 KB · Views: 502

Ask a Question