Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid Ip Configuration

Reaction score
Been looking around about this subject and tried various methods to no avail.

Please help. I found this problem occurred 24 hours after connecting a wifi extender to my router. Maybe that is the reason this issue has occurred I am not too sure.

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 642

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Siegex,

The first thing I'd try with an error message like that is the following:
  • Press Windows Key + S to give focus to the Search field
  • In the Search field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key to execute. You'll see a message telling you to restart computer. Ignore that for now.

Next in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
netsh int ip reset

Press Enter key to execute. You'll see a message telling you to restart the computer. Ignore that for now.

Next in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type exit then press Enter key to close the console.​
  • Now, close any other open programs.
  • Now right-click on Start and select Shut down or sign out > Restart
  • When the computer has restarted, sign-in to your Desktop
  • Press Windows key + S to return focus to the Search field
  • In the Search field type control then press Enter key to open the Control Panel
  • In the Search Control Panel field located in the top right corner of the Control Panel window, type trouble then press Enter key
  • Now on the left side click View all
  • When the window finishes populating with the troubleshoot tools select Network Adapter by left-clicking on it
  • When it opens click Advanced and then click Run as administrator
  • Now click the Next button and follow the prompts.
All going well you'll see all issues are resolved now.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
try imputing these commands

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

that will fix the problem, regards cwillett03

Reaction score
Hi Siegex,

The first thing I'd try with an error message like that is the following:
  • Press Windows Key + S to give focus to the Search field
  • In the Search field type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key to execute. You'll see a message telling you to restart computer. Ignore that for now.

Next in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
netsh int ip reset

Press Enter key to execute. You'll see a message telling you to restart the computer. Ignore that for now.

Next in the Administrator: Command Prompt console type exit then press Enter key to close the console.​
  • Now, close any other open programs.
  • Now right-click on Start and select Shut down or sign out > Restart
  • When the computer has restarted, sign-in to your Desktop
  • Press Windows key + S to return focus to the Search field
  • In the Search field type control then press Enter key to open the Control Panel
  • In the Search Control Panel field located in the top right corner of the Control Panel window, type trouble then press Enter key
  • Now on the left side click View all
  • When the window finishes populating with the troubleshoot tools select Network Adapter by left-clicking on it
  • When it opens click Advanced and then click Run as administrator
  • Now click the Next button and follow the prompts.
All going well you'll see all issues are resolved now.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you, I did note that I have been researching all methods (I signed up after zero success)

This method has not worked for me, any alternatives? I assume one fix is not for all, what do you think I may have done when I attached my Router Extender? I was asked to change adapter settings during the setup, I feel maybe there is an issue there.

After having my current issue I decided to reinstall windows yet the issue still remains

Regedit32

Reaction score
Oh, do you recall what the settings were prior to changing them, and what you changed them to?

Yes there are a few other options you could try, but if that one I just gave you did not work, the others may not help a lot either. Do you know if your TCP/IPv4 settings are set to Automatically detect? Or have you manually set up IPs and DNS details?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
occurred 24 hours after connecting a wifi extender to my router
IF you've added another network appliance to your network configuration that is capable of handing out DHCP, then it is quite possible that you may be connecting to that and receiving improper network schema information.
The fact that it happened in the 24 hour range might suggest a former good DHCP lease that expired and now you have a rogue DHCP server on your network giving out misinformation.

Reaction score
AHA! Some wifi extender will automatically do their own dhcp. Make sure that is turned off. The extender should be setup just to pass through dchp, dns, gateway for V4 and V6 ( if you have that) Good extenders use the same SSID as the main access point and some don't. I guess yours does.

Reaction score
Oh, do you recall what the settings were prior to changing them, and what you changed them to?

Yes there are a few other options you could try, but if that one I just gave you did not work, the others may not help a lot either. Do you know if your TCP/IPv4 settings are set to Automatically detect? Or have you manually set up IPs and DNS details?
Weird, I can't find the source of instruction to what I did to connect my extender, but I did have to change adapter settings for it. I think I wanted a quick fix and used youtube to change adapter settings.

Anyway I thought re installing windows 10 would fix the issue but it didn't.

Ethernet is still unusable to date.

Maybe someone can make some sense of the adapter settings to see if this is the issue?

Reaction score
IF you've added another network appliance to your network configuration that is capable of handing out DHCP, then it is quite possible that you may be connecting to that and receiving improper network schema information.
The fact that it happened in the 24 hour range might suggest a former good DHCP lease that expired and now you have a rogue DHCP server on your network giving out misinformation.
my Range Extender is the EX7300, any chance of laymans terms on what to do with this ?

Reaction score
AHA! Some wifi extender will automatically do their own dhcp. Make sure that is turned off. The extender should be setup just to pass through dchp, dns, gateway for V4 and V6 ( if you have that) Good extenders use the same SSID as the main access point and some don't. I guess yours does.
my Range Extender is the EX7300, any chance of laymans terms on what to do with this ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps rather than assuming that your extender is the problem (could be just a coincidence). Why not experiment a bit and remove it from your network and put it back in the box temporarily and reboot your network and computers and see if your problem is still present without the extender in the mix.

Reaction score
Perhaps rather than assuming that your extender is the problem (could be just a coincidence). Why not experiment a bit and remove it from your network and put it back in the box temporarily and reboot your network and computers and see if your problem is still present without the extender in the mix.
All ready have after a mention of it a couple posts back. Any other input?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they see something wrong in the trouble shooting I ran on the adapter?
n.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, as long as we are sure that the new extender is no longer on the network and could be a source of the problem (maybe).
Start with the basics....
Open a command prompt and copy and past the following line into it and strike the enter key
Code:
ipconfig /all > %UserProfile%\Desktop\IP.txt
That should place a text document on your desktop with pertinent details that may help us.
You can attach that to your next post.
AND
Since the topic of your thread is "ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration"
I'll assume that we are not dealing with anything wirelesss at all.

IF you have another network attached node other than the problem computer which is working correctly, providing its' IP information may also help us to further help you.

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, you may also want to try and ipconfig /release followed by and ipconfig /renew.

Reaction score
OK, as long as we are sure that the new extender is no longer on the network and could be a source of the problem (maybe).
Start with the basics....
Open a command prompt and copy and past the following line into it and strike the enter key
Code:
ipconfig /all > %UserProfile%\Desktop\IP.txt
That should place a text document on your desktop with pertinent details that may help us.
You can attach that to your next post.
AND
Since the topic of your thread is "ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration"
I'll assume that we are not dealing with anything wirelesss at all.

IF you have another network attached node other than the problem computer which is working correctly, providing its' IP information may also help us to further help you.

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, you may also want to try and ipconfig /release followed by and ipconfig /renew.
File uploaded

Attachments

• IP.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 574

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep a 169.254.xxx.xxx address coupled with no Default Gateway is a sure sign that your ethernet adapter is not receiving DHCP from your router.

I looks like the Qualcomm Atheros wireless adapter is working perfectly.

Right click the start button and from the context menu choose "Run" and in the "Run" dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter or click OK
In the resultant window right click the problem adapter and from the context menu choose properties
In the resultant window in the middle area labeled "This connection uses the following items"
Check and make sure that only the following items are checked
1. Client for Microsoft Networks
2. File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Netowrks
3. QoS Packet Scheduler
4. Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
5. Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver
6. Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
7. Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder
8. Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

Anything other that those 8, make sure you uncheck.
Additionally as a test for right now, uncheck #6 IPv6 (You can go back and check it again later)
OK your way back out of there, close any open windows or programs, reboot your computer

Reaction score
Yep a 169.254.xxx.xxx address coupled with no Default Gateway is a sure sign that your ethernet adapter is not receiving DHCP from your router.

Right click the start button and from the context menu choose "Run" and in the "Run" dialog box type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter or click OK
In the resultant window right click the problem adapter and from the context menu choose properties
In the resultant window in the middle area labeled "This connection uses the following items"
3. QoS Packet Scheduler

Additionally as a test for right now, uncheck #6 IPv6 (You can go back and check it again later)
OK your way back out of there, close any open windows or programs, reboot your computer
Done, I unchecked ipv 6 before booting, I found my wireless wasn't working on reboot.
I rechecked the ipv6 box and rebooted again and wireless is back.

Using both options ethernet still fails even though both times I ran the trouble shooter on the ethernet adapter.

See file for an unchecked box remaining in your check list
1.jpg

Reaction score

ncpa.cpl
hit enter or click OK
3. QoS Packet Scheduler

Does this pic offer anything? It says to check modem/router
n.jpg

Reaction score
OK thanks.
Try going here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V
On the right side select your operating system from the drop down
The results should look something like this

View attachment 6455

Download and install that and see if that helps at all.
what is the best method for an uninstall pls.

1. Device mngr
2. Intel (R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-v
3. Uninstall device?

Best method? Sorry I normally use Revo Pro Uninstaller

Ask a Question