SOLVED Ethernet network name change.

Reaction score
My network is a home network that has 4 computers all running Windows 10 Pro. The ethernet network name is "NETWORK". I added two more laptops that had Windows 10 Home when we bought them. I set them up on my network and the network name on them was "NETWORK 2". After upgrading to 10 Pro from Microsoft the name was still network 2. How can I change the network name to "NETWORK" like the other Pro systems?

Reaction score
Hi OC,

open Control Panel > Network and sharing centre > Change adapter settings > Click on the connection you want to change and just highlight it > then on the tab "Rename this connection" which will appear once you click on the type of network connection you have (Ethernet or WiFi). ;)

1622616898091.png

Reaction score
Sorry Wolfie: you misunderstood. The computers I am talking about had Home version on then when they were set up on my network. ALL other computers had 10 Pro installed at set on the network. The all have an ethernet name of "NETWORK" only. The two computers with Home on the I upgraded to 10 PRO from Microsoft site. I like all my system t use PRO as I do mot have to mess with a browser master or other issues. Even after upgrading to pro they still have "NETWORK 2" as the ethernet name.
1622668354444.png

Reaction score
All my computers have always been set discoverable. I was in IT for over 20 years and the problem with the difference between Home and pro I never got because we always was an environment. I started out on windows 3.1and DOS. It is a home vs pro quirk on the upgrading to pro from home. I am thinking I may have to remove both miss named systems delete my nic settings and reset my router and add the systems back to the network now that they have pro already on them. May even have to go out to Microsoft and delete the system before I add them back. BTW I have Windows 10 for Dummies when it first came out.

Reaction score
All what you suggested does is change the label of "Ethernet" to what ever you choose to name it. In my case "NETWORK" Refer back to my pasted example and you will see "NETWORK 2" which is what home always labels it's ethernet connections. Pro always labels it's ethernet connections "NETWORK" which must be a Microsoft thing. Guess so you can tell home from pro on a mixed network. Guess the only way to change that naming id to reregister the Pro system in in a cleaned out router and Microsoft.

Reaction score
After a bunch of searching and asking questions in every way possible here is a site that should help everyone. Here is the link. Copy and pate it.

Here is the first part of what it says.
How to Rename or Change Network Name in Windows 10

By Bashkarla / How To

Every connection in Windows 10 has its own network name. Generally, Windows 10 assigns generic names like Network 1, Network 2, etc., to all your network connections. If you have a router, then Windows might use the name you assigned in the router. When using multiple networks, the default names can be a bit hard to remember or recognize one network from the other. In those situations, changing the network name is quite helpful.

However, you will not find any option whatsoever in the Settings app or Control Panel to change the network name. You have to use the Local Security Policy or Windows Registry to change the network name in Windows 10. It is quite easy to do. Let me show you how to rename a network in Windows 10.
Hope it helps

Reaction score
Gentlemen and Ladies if you have PRO then the Local Security Policy method is awesomely quick. After all this work to find out how it is so easy. If you have Home version then the registry hack will work. This only one reason I like pro so much. I hope this finally gives someone the help I needed at the start and saves many a lot of looking.

KWa

Reaction score
Thanks Curt for coming back and posting a solution. Helped saved me a bunch of time.

Ask a Question