Unidentified Network No Internet Access Ethernet

Reaction score
It's been like this for the past 2 days and troubleshooter can't pick up the problem. Please help and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
You suggest you are using an ethernet cable rather than WiFi.
if you right click on the network Icon at the bottom right of the screen for Network and sharing centre do you see it saying ' you are currently not connected...
Click on change adapter settings to the left.
You should see the Ethernet adapter with a red X right?
If you right click and then click disable and then enable after a few seconds the red x comes back ?

Do your router/modem have any indicator lights? Do they look normal?
Can you reboot your router/internet modem ( if they are separate devices do the modem first) Power off, count to 20 and power back on .
Does it work now?

Can you replace the ethernet cable?

If nothing works still come back here and tell us about your PC and the router/modem and ISP

Reaction score
You suggest you are using an ethernet cable rather than WiFi.
if you right click on the network Icon at the bottom right of the screen for Network and sharing centre do you see it saying ' you are currently not connected...
Click on change adapter settings to the left.
You should see the Ethernet adapter with a red X right?
If you right click and then click disable and then enable after a few seconds the red x comes back ?

Do your router/modem have any indicator lights? Do they look normal?
Can you reboot your router/internet modem ( if they are separate devices do the modem first) Power off, count to 20 and power back on .
Does it work now?

Can you replace the ethernet cable?

If nothing works still come back here and tell us about your PC and the router/modem and ISP
There is no red x in network connections but there's a yellow exclamation point in the Internet on the taskbar. I'm using power line Ethernet since my pc not near the router. I think it's some pc setting or registry because restarting the modem and router didn't work.

Reaction score
I use a powerline kit for one of my machines. MIne is Netgear which has a utility to show if it is working. Does yours have such a thing? Have to power failed the two ends of that? Mine occasionally needs that after a power bump.

Although you are not getting internet are you getting an plausible IP address and DNS? If you are then I guess you are ok all the way to the router. Do you have other machines on your network? Can you see them?

Reaction score
Mine is also netgear and all 3 leds are lit and previously it said no valid up config but now troubleshooter just says couldn't identify the problem.

Reaction score
So are you getting an IP address from the router? I am trying to diagnose if your basic networking is alive and the problem is in W10 on your PC.

I presume your ISP is alive?

Reaction score
So are you getting an IP address from the router? I am trying to diagnose if your basic networking is alive and the problem is in W10 on your PC.

I presume your ISP is alive?
Yes it is I'm using wifi on my phone to type this and other computers in my house are online with wifi.

Reaction score
OK So You haven't said if you are getting an address? Use ipconfig /all in a command prompt box.

Check Windows firewall via control panel system and security. Are you in a private network? W10 can act up if you are shown as being in a public network

Reaction score
OK So You haven't said if you are getting an address? Use ipconfig /all in a command prompt box.

Check Windows firewall via control panel system and security. Are you in a private network? W10 can act up if you are shown as being in a public network
Default gateway and primary DNS suffix are the only things blank and it shows private network but I'll attach a pic just incase I missed anything. Nvm I tried but it says file too large dang it sorry .

Reaction score
No gateway suggests no router. In my network the router is the gateway and I have primary DNS hard coded in the router ( just for reasons to do with my ISP) Is it your router or part of an ISP 'gateway' ?

Reaction score
No gateway suggests no router. In my network the router is the gateway and I have primary DNS hard coded in the router ( just for reasons to do with my ISP) Is it your router or part of an ISP 'gateway' ?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean. The jack comes out of the wall into out modem, then an Ethernet cable goes to the router from the modem. Out of the router the cable goes to the power line adapter.

Reaction score
The modem is translating the signal over the wire from the ISP to a digital signal on the ethernet. That will contain probably one public IP address and a DNS address. The router will do NAT Network address translation to provide ( probably) a set of possible non-routable addresses 192.168.x.y for your machines via DHCP. DHCP is set to a range of addresses. it is good practice to have at least twice as many addresses in the range as you have devices.
If, for instance you have 4 devices ( including tablets and phones and PCs) and only have allowed 4 addresses in the range a 5th device will not connect. Could that be your problem...someone has bought a new phone or an iPad?

The router provides its own address as a gateway address and transmits the DNS address from the ISP to your machines.
The powerline adapter is just a pipe that imposes the digital signal over the 120 volts either works or it doesn't.

So if you are not getting a gateway address and you are getting an IP address something strange is happening. If you getting an IP address of 169.x.y.z that is an address which shows something is wrong somewhere that you have no connectivity.

If you check through this section of the forum there will be instructions on how to reset the whole network system in Windows. That would be worth trying I don't know if the troubleshooters do that.

Reaction score
The modem is translating the signal over the wire from the ISP to a digital signal on the ethernet. That will contain probably one public IP address and a DNS address. The router will do NAT Network address translation to provide ( probably) a set of possible non-routable addresses 192.168.x.y for your machines via DHCP. DHCP is set to a range of addresses. it is good practice to have at least twice as many addresses in the range as you have devices.
If, for instance you have 4 devices ( including tablets and phones and PCs) and only have allowed 4 addresses in the range a 5th device will not connect. Could that be your problem...someone has bought a new phone or an iPad?

The router provides its own address as a gateway address and transmits the DNS address from the ISP to your machines.
The powerline adapter is just a pipe that imposes the digital signal over the 120 volts either works or it doesn't.

So if you are not getting a gateway address and you are getting an IP address something strange is happening. If you getting an IP address of 169.x.y.z that is an address which shows something is wrong somewhere that you have no connectivity.

If you check through this section of the forum there will be instructions on how to reset the whole network system in Windows. That would be worth trying I don't know if the troubleshooters do that.
So I checked ipconfig it says autoconfiguration IPv4 address is a 169.x.y.z address and subnet mask 255.255.0.0

Reaction score
I ran troubleshooter again and now it says wifi doesn't have a valid up configuration but that doesn't matter because I'm trying to fix Ethernet and it also says the default gateway is not available.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to test that your inline AC Ethernet adapters are functioning properly.
Do they each have reset buttons as pictured?
Are they on the same side of the breaker-box electrically?
Can you get the computer close enough to the router to test a normal Ethernet connection to eliminate the line adapters from the equation to test and see if the problem is with the computer or the line adapters by taking them out of the diagnostic equation?

Attachments

• WP_20160410_11_04_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160410_11_04_49_Pro.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 1,157
Reaction score
You need to test that your inline AC Ethernet adapters are functioning properly.
Do they each have reset buttons as pictured?
Are they on the same side of the breaker-box electrically?
Can you get the computer close enough to the router to test a normal Ethernet connection to eliminate the line adapters from the equation to test and see if the problem is with the computer or the line adapters by taking them out of the diagnostic equation?
I can't get close unless I unplug everything and move my entire pc case downstairs but I can reset the power line adapters if that's what you want.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    779.9 KB · Views: 999

Ask a Question