Ethernet unidentified network

Reaction score
I am a potato when it comes to computers so sorry in advance if I am like the most stressful person to help. So basically I just built a new computer and got it working yesterday and when I booted it up it would not connect to the internet. I talked to Microsoft support for like four hours and nothing has changed. I have an ethernet cable going from my router to my pc. My wifi works well on every other device. My Ipconfig is stated below. I am really unsure what to do and any help would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 address....:fe00""a819:e111"e0dc:fla2%2
Autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169. 254 ect (I don't know if I should post this on the internet or not, so I'll leave the rest out for now lol)
Sunnet mask.....: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway.......:

Reaction score
That IPconfig is telling you that the router is not giving you any information. the 169.254 is a sure sign.

So I would first try rebooting the router and then the PC. Look on the PC where the ethernet cable is connected . usuallly there are a pair of small LEDs One orange and one green. At least one of them should be flashing if the router believes that it has a physical connection. It is not impossible that the cable is bad. If you are using wifi for other devices the router itself is working.

Next go device manager on the PC. Right click start -> device manager -> network adapters. Right click network adapters you should see one of two adapters mentioned. If your PC has ethernet on the motherboard as most do it likely will say RealTek GBE.... as that is a very common adapter. Right click Properties and tell us what it says.

You could also go to Settings and Networking and then click Ethernet and see what that page says... if that says disabled or disconnected then try enabling or connecting.

Reaction score
You might also open the Network and Sharing Center and check the network shown. In some cases you will pick up a public network and you have to select the Homegroup settings and allow it to change locations.

I suppose making sure you are using the correct workgroup is necessary.

Reaction score
That IPconfig is telling you that the router is not giving you any information. the 169.254 is a sure sign.

So I would first try rebooting the router and then the PC. Look on the PC where the ethernet cable is connected . usuallly there are a pair of small LEDs One orange and one green. At least one of them should be flashing if the router believes that it has a physical connection. It is not impossible that the cable is bad. If you are using wifi for other devices the router itself is working.

Next go device manager on the PC. Right click start -> device manager -> network adapters. Right click network adapters you should see one of two adapters mentioned. If your PC has ethernet on the motherboard as most do it likely will say RealTek GBE.... as that is a very common adapter. Right click Properties and tell us what it says.

You could also go to Settings and Networking and then click Ethernet and see what that page says... if that says disabled or disconnected then try enabling or connecting.
So I have one orange light and one that is blinking yellow. The cable works because I've tested it with my Xbox. When I go to properties it says the device is working properly. And when I go to setting and networking and click ethernet it says unidentified network.

Reaction score
I would try Win 10 native troubleshooter. In the search box type "Trouble" select "Network Troubleshooter"

Reaction score
You did not mention who the Internet provider is.
One of the local New Brunswick suppliers sometimes provides a disk for use with Ethernet connection. Sometimes the installer does not leave the disk. A call to supplier sometimes fixes the problem and sometimes a house call is needed, especially if it's a new or upgraded PC. One neighbor needed a house call after free upgrade to 10
Only seems to affect "hard wiring" to modem, or so I have been told

Reaction score
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 address....:fe00""a819:e111"e0dc:fla2%2
Autoconfiguration IPv4 address: 169. 254 ect (I don't know if I should post this on the internet or not, so I'll leave the rest out for now lol)
Sunnet mask.....: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway.......:

Your settings should look like this:
IPv4 address: 192.168.0 (or 1).2 (anything higher than 1 up to 254)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 some provider do 255.255.254.0
Gateway: 192.168.0 (or 1,see IPv4).1
DNS : 192.168.0 (or 1,see IPv4).1

a reset of your network adapter through the troubleshooter may resolve your issue.

Reaction score
You did not mention who the Internet provider is.
One of the local New Brunswick suppliers sometimes provides a disk for use with Ethernet connection. Sometimes the installer does not leave the disk. A call to supplier sometimes fixes the problem and sometimes a house call is needed, especially if it's a new or upgraded PC. One neighbor needed a house call after free upgrade to 10
Only seems to affect "hard wiring" to modem, or so I have been told
my isp is Cox it's a apartment type deal.

Reaction score
Your settings should look like this:
IPv4 address: 192.168.0 (or 1).2 (anything higher than 1 up to 254)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 some provider do 255.255.254.0
Gateway: 192.168.0 (or 1,see IPv4).1
DNS : 192.168.0 (or 1,see IPv4).1

a reset of your network adapter through the troubleshooter may resolve your issue.
I have tried resetting and troubleshooting and nothing, I set up a phone call with the Microsoft escalation team or something like that.

Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting or resetting the router to its default. Unplug the router power for one minute, then power it back up to reboot. There is most likely a small reset button on the back, depress the reset button using a paper clip.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it's a apartment type deal.
Do you have physical control of the ISP supplied device?
IF so, attempting a reset might help of that device as suggested might indeed help the problem.
IF not, then have you spoken to any other residents to see if they are having similar issues?
Have you spoken to the person who does have physical control of the device to see if they will reset it for you?

Reaction score
my isp is Cox it's a apartment type deal.

I just noticed you found an IPv6 address.and wonder if this is new . A lot of high usage folks seem to be upgrading to higher capacity IPv6 ( see article below) and not all modems are created equal

Here in NB Cox is affiliated with Rogers who use IPv6 for TV, internet & phone bundle.

I am with Bell and am currently stuck with IPv4 ! - You might not be
WHY:
I fall between Fiber-op roll-out and existing land-line - two different protocols! In my case my land-line had to be rerouted from town 35Km (22 Mi) away. Plus, Bell had to provide me with a new / different modem
My setup is "entry" modem at one end of home - bedroom - and "main" modem - living room - at the other end via 75' cat5 cable.
New modem worked fine but old modem acted sort of like you describe in your post
SO:
I asked local internet support and was told that my 10+ year old modem was no longer fully compatible. A new modem fixed the problem but, due to my non-standard setup I had to limit BOTH modems to IPv4..
Your default MIGHT be IPv6
Like Trouble said above - call around and check things out

NOTE : article = <http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ipv6-ipv4-care-user-makeuseof-explains/>

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question