SOLVED Ethernet Network Not Connecting During Boot

Reaction score
Network-notconnected.png

I would post this as a Driver Issue. But I do not believe that to be the case. This issue showed up after an automatic update to 1903. And the connection issue is not every boot. Sometimes I can disable the Ethernet and then re-enable to get it working again. That doesn't always work though. I've even uninstalled the drivers in Device Management then reinstalled them, but that never seems to work. It only takes a few minutes for me to get my network back up and running. Since I rarely reboot and never turn off my machine. I'm only faced with this two or three times a month.

If anyone has a solution I would be grateful to hear it.

I'm still using the same system posted in my profile. MSI P67A-G45 _ i7-2600K _ 8GB DDR3-1866 _ Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller [RTL8167]

Dropping this link I just found. I'll be checking it out and reporting back.

Edit:
The issue within the link was not present on my machine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After browsing for 30 minutes with no results, my eyes are starting to swell. I guess I'm done till next reboot, unless I get a suggestion I've not tried.

Reaction score
More likely your services are not starting properly type services.msc right click services.msc, check these two functions if they are running restart them they both should be set to auto-start.
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just had the same thing show up on my PC....when the power went out. It dorked up my modem/router and I had to manually reset it by using the reset button on the back of unit hidden in that little hole. Once I did that that icon went away.

Reaction score
More likely your services are not starting properly type services.msc right click services.msc, check these two functions if they are running restart them they both should be set to auto-start.
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Any reason why the service would toggle on or off every other boot?

I had to manually reset it by using the reset button on the back of unit
I'll keep that in mind, if the issue migrates to other machines. So far the issue seems confined to only one.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Meantime I have installed a different driver. The software I used to pull information listed my hardware as RTL8167. For some reason all the driver software I find is for 8168 or 8169. Those were as close a match as I could find. I ended up downloading software for Realtek 81xx and 84xx. The driver installed, so I assume there was no issue and the driver was compatible.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you considered booting a live Linux OS to check whether the issue persists.

If the issue persists doing that, that would to me imply a hardware issue needs addressing.

If Ethernet works using Linux then to me that would confirm its a Windows OS issue.

Reaction score
Long story short I don't suspected hardware failure, since the only time I have an issue is during boot.
I would post this as a Driver Issue. But I do not believe that to be the case.
I had to of been mistaken. I was assuming my drivers was good to go using Windows generic driver installs. They are usually a good fail safe. There is no telling how old they are. Microsoft must have updated Windows to the point it no longer worked with the generic network drivers. Browsing around on MSI driver pages, I found an updated driver for my old Sandy-Bridge motherboard. That just does not happen unless something major goes wrong with those old boards. In general it has been seven years since they updated any of the other drivers.

I will reboot daily to test the new network drivers. Right now testing is on hold while I checkout the new drivers.

Back twenty years ago I would have loved these little challenges. I'm getting too old and way too short tempered nowadays for them. That is one of the main reasons I haven't installed Linux. Even using a live CD seems bothersome. And to make matters worse, I'm way too prideful to have someone else look at my machine.

Reaction score
"Back twenty years ago I would have loved these little challenges. I'm getting too old and way too short tempered nowadays for them. That is one of the main reasons I haven't installed Linux"

LOL -I know the feeling!

1568619873943.png

Reaction score
Back twenty years ago I would have loved these little challenges. I'm getting too old and way too short tempered nowadays for them. That is one of the main reasons I haven't installed Linux. Even using a live CD seems bothersome. And to make matters worse, I'm way too prideful to have someone else look at my machine.

Preachin' to the choir man, especially as someone who used to do second and third level tech support for a living.

Hmm, my bathroom faucet is leaking. Better grab my toolbox and change the washer. Oh no! None of my tools work because of an automatic update!

I just got invited to a cookout at my sister's house on this fine sunny day. It's a 45 minute drive. What's this? After an automatic update my car can only make right turns! Now I'm stuck here Googleing for hours, trying every suggestion for a fix instead of enjoying some good food, drink and friends!

And ladies and gentlemen, what is the number one suggestion for a borked update on any platform?

::drumroll::

Revert to the previous version that was working prior to the update!!

I got a better idea - how about NOT UPDATING and just pretending I did update but had to back to the old version? Yea that's what I do now. I don't update anything unless something stops working. I have 1903 but that was a clean install, not an update. I will probably be on 1903 for a while until I am bored and then do a clean install of the next update. If something doesn't work I restore the image I made. Been doing this for years, less hassle and less me swearing at my PC :mad:.

I also installed Lubuntu recently. After install everything worked perfectly. I wanted to install Kodi but it was not in the repository. Had to sudo-apt-update. Guess what. After the update my HDMI audio out stopped working. I tried a few suggestions but I then said pffft. Heck with this.

Like you I used to love these little challenges.

Then I got a life.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Hell....I lost my CD/DVD drive. It went missing in file explorer after the update. I didn't even pay attention that it was missing until I went to go use it yesterday. Door would open, load disc and door would close and that's where it stayed. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to work. Finally, I just powered down and pulled side panel and move the sata port connection and "BAMB" works like a charm. Go figure!

Reaction score
I've rebooted several times the last two days with no network troubles. So far all is going good with new drivers. Looks as if Microsoft needs to update their generic drivers. Atleast to something within the last two years.

Reaction score
Marking as solved. Problem this time around was the usual driver neglect. First time I've ever had issues with Windows generic network drivers.

With all the reports of bad updates (along with my arrogance), I started out going in the wrong direction.

Ask a Question