Ethernet Unplugged after upgrading to Windows 10

Reaction score
My Ethernet is reported as unplugged when it is not. I have followed many suggestions from the on-line community. So far nothing has worked. My Ethernet Adapter is "Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E." My Internet Connector is "Realtek RTL 8188CE Wireless LAN. I am connected to the internet, but the "Ethernet" is reported as unplugged when it is not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Using Internet Explorer go here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Atheros AR8161 PCI-E
You should see two drivers for "Windows 8.1 and later".
The top and slight smaller file is for 32 bit Windows and the second one and slightly larger file is for 64bit windows.
Download the 8.1 file appropriate for your system architecture to a new folder on your desktop.
Open the folder and use something like 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/ to extract the .cab file into the new folder by right clicking the .cab file and choosing extract here. Then.......

Driver Install - Manual Method

1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  3. Choose Update Driver Software.
  4. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. Select Have disk...
  7. Select Browse..
  8. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file
  9. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I did try both methods. The Manual Method told me that I already have the most updated version installed. Nonetheless, it is still reading "unplugged." Also I cannot join my husband's Home Network and therefore cannot use the printer. I went through the steps of the other method and successfully downloaded and extracted the files, but what do I do now? BTW, I have a wireless computer, but I am connected to my husbands network which uses Broadband. I can get the internet, so why do I need the Ethernet? Just curious. By now you realize that I am not very computer literate. Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I went through the steps of the other method and successfully downloaded and extracted the files, but what do I do now?
The manual method is when you use the files that you have managed to extract to the folder and browse to those files, specifically the .inf file to install the driver manually.
I have a wireless computer, but I am connected to my husbands network which uses Broadband. I can get the internet, so why do I need the Ethernet?
Technically, I don't suppose you do need Ethernet. I was just under the impression from you Original Post that you wanted to get it working.
Some people just like to clean up Device Manager and have all their connected devices working and available in the event that they need to use them.

Reaction score
  1. The actual problem that I have is that, even though I am on my husband's Network, when I try to join the home group__ which it says I am invited to join__ I get the error message that "this computer cannot join be joined to a home group." I have tried many things that have been suggested to me, including disabling my antivirus software. As I said, nothing has worked. I just assumed that perhaps not having the Ethernet might be the problem. Incidentally, everything worked fine with Windows 8.1. For this reason I did a system restore, back to Windows 8.1. Windows 10 then jumped in and updated me even though I did not request it. This has been truly mind boggling to me. My husband has had no problems at all with Windows 10. For a while I was not able to even download windows essentials or send and receive e-mails. After talking with technicians from Microsoft, Sisna, Windows and On-line help, I gave up. Then, through much trial and error, was able to get these back working by myself. I cannot tell you how I did it, only that I did it and am as surprised as anyone that whatever I did worked. This problem with the Home Group has me completely stumped! Sorry for the "longwindedness"__ just venting , I guess. Anyway, thanks for your help thus far and thanks for listening. Your ideas have been very practical.

Ask a Question