File explorer always starts

Reaction score
Whenever I start or restart windows 10 starts file explorer and presents the opening view. I have checked with task manager and I cannot see it in the start panel. Everything in start has been disabled.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum. Check a couple more places.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
And
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

and failing either or both of those look to these registry locations but of course back it up, create a restore point manually, and export the key prior to editing for safe keeping.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Reaction score
Trouble-
Thanks - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp was where it was.
Why is the startup list different between Task manage and the above?
Ed

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you found it and also glad that you realize that using the registry editior is not for everyone.
Thanks for the feedback.
Why is the startup list different between Task manage and the above?
In my experience, the items listed under the Startup tab in Task Manager are usually items, that are placed there as a product of a program installer. They can be part of a normal install of Windows such as OneDrive or a product of a third party software installation. Whereas the other locations that I mention may contain items that are manually placed there by a user as a personal preference to start an application when Windows launches that he or she wants, for example some folks want their specific email client to launch at startup so they place a shortcut to the launcher there.
Why, how or who might have placed file explorer into that container in your particular instances..... i haven't a clue.

Ask a Question