Four Computers stuck on build 17046

Reaction score
I have 4 computers that will not upgrade to a newer build. I have tried the usual remedies of removing USB devices, mini SD cards, updating drivers, software checking tools and troubleshooters. I was sure 17083 would load but Nope! It gets to second boot on installation and reverts back to 17046 on all 4 computers. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As both builds mentioned in your post are "Insider Preview" builds I have moved your thread to the Windows Insider sub-forum.

Sometimes third party software, especially Security Suites such as antivirus programs will cause problems with installations.
Do the four computers involved share any common third party software?

What I have had to do in some instances in the past when I have run into such problems is
Delete the $WINDOWS.~BT (hidden) folder
Delete the contents of the C:\Windows\Software Distribution folder (you will likely need to stop both Windows Update and Cryptographic Services in order to empty it completely)
AND
Then attempt to download and install the new build.
Make sure that only one computer is up and running on the network when you attempt this, as the update files can be shared between computers and if there are corrupt files on a network computer you don't want them acquired over and over again.

Reaction score
Great Point - Thanks. All 4 computers are on the same network. I'll check to make sure each is set not to share files. I think all 4 are set not to share but I need to double check.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Network sharing is not a particular consideration as it typically behaves.
The important consideration is how the Windows Update itself behaves and where it can obtain files for the purposes of upgrading, by what is currently referred to as "Delivery Optimization"
And
Will normally involve "PCs on my local network" or "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet"
Which is why you would generally not want any computers that may contain corrupt files to be a potential source of downloads during the upgrade process.
And
Is why I suggested disconnecting all but the target machine to be upgraded from the network, to prevent any possible cross contamination.

Reaction score
I noly have one computer and have exactly the same problem- stuck on 17046

Ask a Question