Groupy Policy

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 and I am trying to change a setting to allow my apps to have access to my location, but within settings...privacy...location I get *Some settings are hidden or managed by your organization. Which is allowing me not to turn on location services or choose which apps can use my precise location.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Habaneroman,

Welcome to the Forum.

As you are aware Microsoft wants us making use of the Windows Settings app primarily.

While that is all fine, one issue is that there are tools within Windows which Users will use from time to time that are on a higher level of authority to the Windows settings app.

If you are on a non domain setup, then both the Registry Editor and Group Policy Editor have higher authority.than the Windows settings app.

If you are on a Domain then both the Registry Editor and Group Policy Management Editor are on a higher authority than the Windows settings app.

Effectively what this means if if you have set a Group Policy [ i.e. you use Windows 10 Professional / Enterprise ] that is to do - in your case - with Telemetry / Privacy you will need to reset that to default so you can make the changes you want to in the Windows settings app.

If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, you will not have access to the Group Policy Editor but you may have modified your Registry using tweaks to prevent Telemetry / Privacy settings, and you'll need to reset their Value data or remove them completely from the Registry before you can make changes in the Windows settings app.

If you are using Windows 10 Professional / Windows 10 Enterprise, and you cannot recall which Group Policy you changed that may have something to do with Telemetry / Privacy, then you have the option to reset all the Group Policies to their Default status. If you need help doing that let me know and I'll post a guide on what to do.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
(If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, you will not have access to the Group Policy Editor but you may have modified your Registry using tweaks to prevent Telemetry / Privacy settings, and you'll need to reset their Value data or remove them completely from the Registry before you can make changes in the Windows settings app.) How do I do this?

Reaction score
Hi Habaneroman,

Welcome to the Forum.

As you are aware Microsoft wants us making use of the Windows Settings app primarily.

While that is all fine, one issue is that there are tools within Windows which Users will use from time to time that are on a higher level of authority to the Windows settings app.

If you are on a non domain setup, then both the Registry Editor and Group Policy Editor have higher authority.than the Windows settings app.

If you are on a Domain then both the Registry Editor and Group Policy Management Editor are on a higher authority than the Windows settings app.

Effectively what this means if if you have set a Group Policy [ i.e. you use Windows 10 Professional / Enterprise ] that is to do - in your case - with Telemetry / Privacy you will need to reset that to default so you can make the changes you want to in the Windows settings app.

If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, you will not have access to the Group Policy Editor but you may have modified your Registry using tweaks to prevent Telemetry / Privacy settings, and you'll need to reset their Value data or remove them completely from the Registry before you can make changes in the Windows settings app.

If you are using Windows 10 Professional / Windows 10 Enterprise, and you cannot recall which Group Policy you changed that may have something to do with Telemetry / Privacy, then you have the option to reset all the Group Policies to their Default status. If you need help doing that let me know and I'll post a guide on what to do.

Regards,

Regedit32
(If you are using Windows 10 Home edition, you will not have access to the Group Policy Editor but you may have modified your Registry using tweaks to prevent Telemetry / Privacy settings, and you'll need to reset their Value data or remove them completely from the Registry before you can make changes in the Windows settings app.) How do I do this?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you modified the Registry at all?
  • Either manually [i.e. you did it yourself], or
  • Using a third party tool to block telemetry

Can you confirm whether or not you have modified it, and if you have, which method?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you have not done either, then there should be nothing to change, which means your issue is being caused by something else. If you bought a brand named computer such as Dell, HP etc., then it may have come bundled with applications, one of which may be the culprit.

What version and build of Windows are you on?
  • e.g. Windows 10 Home edition, Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483)
To get this information: Right-click on Start and select Run. Then in the run dialog type winver and click OK

Also, what brand computer is this, and do you have the model number too?
  • e.g. HP Pavillion Desktop p6795a
To get this information: Right-click on Start and select Run. Then in the run dialog type msinfo32 and click OK

Ask a Question