SOLVED HL-1440 driver not found in Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
Same problem here while trying to install a driver for Brother HL-1440 in W10 64-bit version. I tried the approaches mentioned above in this thread, no ”Microsoft - Printer I 6/21/2006” show up in advanced opion including other drivers. Using Microsoft Update Catalog, I cannot find a version that includes valid drivers for this model, only some Lexmark models show up after expanding the .cab file and using the ”have disk” option. Is it possible to be more specific about the exact version to use? I have tried dozens of sub-versions without success, all with the same name Microsoft - Printer 6/21/2006.

Also tried the driver for HL-1210W as suggested above but it did not work, resulted in no printing and an error was mentioned without further details.

The printer has been used as a network printer all years, using a HP JetDirect 300x interface. Just to rule out that as a potential problem I also tried to connect it directly to the W10 machine through USB but it is not recognized and it does not show up in the device manager.

It is really strange to have such problems with a seemingly super simple task… this printer installs and works fine on all other machines we have; Mac OSX in all versions over the years, various Linux distros, older Windows versions up to and including my wife’s Windows 10 installation - an earlier version, I recall no installation problems maybe a year ago and on another W10 machine some years further back.

Only ”solution” I have right now for printing from my Win 10 machine is to have CentOS 8 running in a VirtualBox and use the printer through CUPS, installed perfectly as network printer with the correct driver supplied by Brother. Not very practical as you can imagine but works as a temporary fix.

I refuse to replace this great printer, period.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update:

I gave up efforts to install Brother HL-1440 in Windows 10, the solution to print through a Linux virtual machine was good enough.

However, something magical happened today. I was doing some driver updates, a network driver from the laptop manufacturers website and also a PC Health Check to see if this laptop is Windows 11 ready (which it was by a a large margin btw).

I did a Windows update check, which now informed that Windows 11 can be installed on the machine when it is offered later on. Interestingly there were also a few optional updates this time: an AMD display driver and - I could not believe my eyes - ”Microsoft - Printer I 6/21/2006” !!!

I installed both of course. Went through the printer install process again, now the old Brother HL-1440 was in the list and could be installed just like before as a network printer adressed by IP number for the HP JetDirect 300x. Everything works perfectly now!

Thanks a lot for all clues provided in this thread, I don't know why it suddenly worked as described by some earlier posts but something obviously got a kick in the right direction here by other updates.

Reaction score
Update - In advanced windows update options, I enabled updating other microsoft products, then in windows update, optional updates, I checked Microsoft - Printer I 6/21/2006. I then went into add printer and magically the Brother HL-1440 was there

I've been into tech my entire medium length life and this is the first time forum instructions have worked after just a few minutes of searching. Thanks. I now have a working printer.

Reaction score
Scooter12 is our hero. His or her approach did the job for my Brother HL-1430 on Windows 10 (64-bits), installed from scratch. It took me a few weeks to find this solution. Scooter12: thank you very much. Leendert.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update - In advanced windows update options, I enabled updating other microsoft products, then in windows update, optional updates, I checked Microsoft - Printer I 6/21/2006. I then went into add printer and magically the Brother HL-1440 was there

I have a Dell inspiron that that worked fine with windows 10 and a brother hl1440. That computer crashed and I tried to move the printer to a HP computer also running windows 10. I tried many approaches to connect it until I saw your improbable solution. It worked! Thank you and I recommend that you should play the lottery, win, and retire. Thanks again.

Ivo

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Brother HL-1440 and I still can't install the driver. Can you help me step by step

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Brother HL-1440 and I still can't install the driver. Can you help me step by step
This doesn't work: you don't provide details and you ask very much. I followed the suggestion from Scooter12 without any problem. Leendert.

Isa

Reaction score
Amazing!!! You saved my life!!! I've been trying for ages to download drivers, updates, etc. to print on my brother HL 1440 from my new laptop (windows 10) with no luck. Thank you. It does work ! You're the best!

Reaction score
Amazing!!! You saved my life!!! I've been trying for ages to download drivers, updates, etc. to print on my brother HL 1440 from my new laptop (windows 10) with no luck. Thank you. It does work ! You're the best!
This setting "enabled updating other microsoft products" wasn't present. That said, all I had to do was "Check for updates".

Reaction score
This setting "enabled updating other microsoft products" wasn't present. That said, all I had to do was "Check for updates".
This printer (HL-1440) may be a dinosaur, however, I found mine in a dump around 2006. Took it apart, reseated a cable and it has worked, without fail, ever since.
Best printer I have ever had and so far, ever needed...

Isa

Reaction score
This printer (HL-1440) may be a dinosaur, however, I found mine in a dump around 2006. Took it apart, reseated a cable and it has worked, without fail, ever since.
Best printer I have ever had and so far, ever needed...
Yes best printer ever, i've had it for ages, just bought a new toner and it keeps on going...

Reaction score
driver for HL-1210W works for HL-1440
That driver is found on Brother website.
Thank me if it works for you !!
THANK YOU, KRIS RAGHU!!
It does work, only thing that I've found working.
DRIVER FOR HL1210W WORKS FOR HL1440!
Thanks again man!

Reaction score
Hi Folks:
I know this post is 6 months old. I came here as I was having issue in adding a networked (via router USB port) HL-1440 to one computer. The solutions given here did not work for me.
On reflection, I realized I have this printer working through 2 other computers on the same network and decided to look at the printer printers in the Windows directory of one computer. I found a driver directory which I guess downloaded from Microsoft long time ago containing extra 64 bit drivers for various Brother printers that do not show up under windows update. The folder says AMD64 since my systems are built with AMD chips but I am sure they will work with Intel CPUs as well (to think about it, I have been accessing the same printer through 3 laptops with Intel CPUs). So, I am attaching a zipped version of that folder. You can use it to install the driver by 1) Have disk, 2) Pick the directory where the unzipped folder reside. I am not adding MD5 , this and that. Just scan it with Windows defender or MW bytes to make sure everything is fine.
Well, the zip file is too big to attach. Here is a GD link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_blSpIauCyC8oBOEC2xHqHaWPXfDEl5d/view?usp=sharing

Reaction score

Thank you so much for the steps above. I was having trouble installing a Brother HL1440 printer on a Windows 10 computer because the driver was missing in the Brother listed printers. After following the above steps, the Brother HL-1440 icon was there when I went back to Add printers. Thanks again. If you are having the same issues, try this before doing anything else.

Reaction score
OMG these chats were so helpful. Finally got the Brother Driver for my HL 1440 to show up. Going to the UPDATE thing helped - suddenly an option for the “Microsoft - Printer I 6/21/2006” came up to check. Now I'm having trouble getting it to print, but at least it's there.

Reaction score
Thanks This worked for me

Reaction score
Thanks This worked for me
Thanks this was extremely helpful

Reaction score
Hi Folks:
I know this post is 6 months old. I came here as I was having issue in adding a networked (via router USB port) HL-1440 to one computer. The solutions given here did not work for me.
On reflection, I realized I have this printer working through 2 other computers on the same network and decided to look at the printer printers in the Windows directory of one computer. I found a driver directory which I guess downloaded from Microsoft long time ago containing extra 64 bit drivers for various Brother printers that do not show up under windows update. The folder says AMD64 since my systems are built with AMD chips but I am sure they will work with Intel CPUs as well (to think about it, I have been accessing the same printer through 3 laptops with Intel CPUs). So, I am attaching a zipped version of that folder. You can use it to install the driver by 1) Have disk, 2) Pick the directory where the unzipped folder reside. I am not adding MD5 , this and that. Just scan it with Windows defender or MW bytes to make sure everything is fine.
Well, the zip file is too big to attach. Here is a GD link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_blSpIauCyC8oBOEC2xHqHaWPXfDEl5d/view?usp=sharing

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I followed the instructions above. I chose to set up manually and chose USB as the method of connection (it might have said virtual USB). It found the HL-1450 no problem and all is right with the world. THANK YOU!!!

Reaction score
Thank you for this, Scooter12, this worked for my HL-1435 as well. Never, ever would have sorted this out on my own.

Ask a Question