Hot and crah while idle

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an Asus Laptop N705UDR with win 10 home wich is runnig hot while idle untill it crashes and I return to a black screen and have to hold the power untill it restarts.

I have tried a lot of things, but can not seem to find what is causing it. I have used driver verification, but it got stuck in a loop and I had to get it out with safe mode. I found a DCOM 1084 windows.internal.security.authentication.web.tokenbrokerinternal error, but could not find if that was the issue or not.

I am running the latest build with the latest updates. All drivers have the latest updates. The system is fine and cool while in use. No virusscan or defrag tasks running. As soon as I leave it idle the problem starts. Have tested a few minutes to see what happens when idle, but nothing so far. No processes that step up ad use resources. Might take a bit longer.

A thing I suspect now: I am running a high performance mode. Maybe, when I am idle the fans rest, while the processor is still running max? Is this a thing ?

Hope anyone has an idea.

Reaction score
On my Asus laptop, I disabled the AMD GPU and just use the onboard graphics from my Intel CPU, it was running very hot and loud, once the AMD GPU was disabled, it now runs fine.

If you have an integrated GPU as well as a 2nd GPU, disable the Nvidia or AMD GPU and see if it still happens, you can always reset BIOS to defaults if it doesn't help. :)

Reaction score
Thing is I do not have any problems while using the laptop. Temperature is fine also when I use the nvidia gpu. Only problems I get when idle and away.

Reaction score
What type of drive does it have, SATA HDD or SSD?, it might be the SATA drive spinning and you think it is the cooling fan???. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of a situation or condition in which a laptop which is inactive / idle would generate more heat resulting in a crash and the same laptop when in active use would not.

I would think that a properly functioning heat sensor would detect any excesses and bring active cooling (internal fan) into play.

There are a number of third party software applications HWiNFO, SpeedFan, CoreTemp, etc. that may help you to investigate further.

Otherwise you may want to get it to a shop (or do it yourself) to inspect it for any airflow obstructions or any issues with the various heat sinks. Perhaps one or more may not be snug against the chip or may need the thermal paste reapplied.

Ask a Question