SOLVED I Get a White Screen When I Click On a Photo in a Folder

Reaction score
All of a sudden, I find that if I click on a photo or graphics file within a folder, I only get a white screen. What is causing this? Why aren’t my photos appearing instantly on the screen, as before? I find that I can get them to show up if I start with the first file indicated, and then use the arrows to get to the specific one desired. But they don’t display if I click on any but the first. I always empty my Recycle Bin, and I don’t have any unnecessary programs running at Startup. Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas?
Nope.
It happens to me as well, occasionally.
Mostly it seems to happen with images I have on cloud based storage.
Usually if I just close the Photos app and then double click the image file again, it opens right up without delay.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've not had that issue at all with 1909 or 2004, cloud based or not. Knock on wood! I wonder if there is some sort of system file corruption. Have either of you ran sfc /scnnow to check?

Reaction score
Also, what version of Win 10 are you using?, an upgrade may help if you have an older version!. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if there is some sort of system file corruption.
I rather think that it may be an issue (glitch) with the actual "Photos" app. I seldom use it as Paint Dot Net is my go to application for image work or most types.
an upgrade may help if you have an older version!
Pretty sure I'm as current as current can be.
This is what I get
Capture.PNG

As you can see it's not just the image failing to display.
The Title Bar is glitching as well as the action menu bar icons underneath it, so I'm pretty sure it's just the app.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just opened several pics using the standard photo app and they display correctly!. I am using Win 10 version 2004 with everything updated!. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I rather think that it may be an issue (glitch) with the actual "Photos" app. I seldom use it as Paint Dot Net is my go to application for image work or most types.

This is what I get
View attachment 12260
The Title Bar is glitching as well as the action menu bar icons underneath it, so I'm pretty sure it's just the app.
That's just weird and crazy. Have you reported to MS with the Feed Back Hub? Is this isolated to just one of your systems or does it happen on all of them? You mentioned a cloud service for pictures.....which one is that?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you reported to MS with the Feed Back Hub?
Nope.
But... the two of us in this thread that are experiencing the problem are not alone.
A quick search of the Feedback Hub, filtering for Trending, My Build, PC, Apps and Photos, will show many people reporting this issue.
Any thing from "Slow to Open", "Hanging" "White Screen", "Black Screen" (which I assume is a dark themed computer), "Blank Screen", etc.
AND as I said earlier, I really don't care as I don't actually use it.
It may be as simple as as a "Repair" or "Reset" (Settings -> Apps -> Microsoft Photos -> Advanced Options
Capture.PNG

and I may give that a go later to see if it has any effect.

Last edited:
Reaction score

This is what I get
View attachment 12260

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this white screen problem. Why hasn't Microsoft fixed this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for the follow-up.
Maybe give it some time and a few shutdowns and restarts before considering it completely solved.

Ask a Question