SOLVED How do I undo Win 7 Emulation

Reaction score
Some time ago I selected an option in Windows 10 on my PC to emulate Windows 7. I did this to try and use a game I liked that did not work on Windows 10. My experiment failed and now I want to return to Windows 10 but I don't know how to. Can anyone help.

Reaction score
Are you asking about Compatibility Mode for the program? Of all the installations I've done with Win10 there never appeared a Windows 7 mode choice. It usually helps to know about the older program, what it first worked on for you. Also needed to know if 32-bit or 64-bit computers are involved which would involve whether the game was from WinXP or earlier as the 64-bit version of Windows 10 can't do well with 16-bit programs and some 32-bit. Or was a third-party software installed such as Classic Shell or Open Shell to make Win10 look and work like Win7?

Reaction score
Are you asking about Compatibility Mode for the program? Of all the installations I've done with Win10 there never appeared a Windows 7 mode choice. It usually helps to know about the older program, what it first worked on for you. Also needed to know if 32-bit or 64-bit computers are involved which would involve whether the game was from WinXP or earlier as the 64-bit version of Windows 10 can't do well with 16-bit programs and some 32-bit. Or was a third-party software installed such as Classic Shell or Open Shell to make Win10 look and work like Win7?
Hi Bighorn - thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Its a 64 bit computer. I've attached screen shots to show the "This PC" screen -showing Windows 7 and the "properties" screen showing Windows 10. There was no installation of third party software. I'm pretty sure the option to go to Windows 7 came from within Windows 10 but it was a while ago and you know what memory (human) is like.. I upgraded to Windows 10 from XP. The game last worked on Windows 7. Do you think I will have to reload Windows 10?

Attachments

• screenshot.pdf
    292.1 KB · Views: 69
Reaction score
Okay, that reference to Windows 7 is only a Label on the hard drive [HDD or SSD], can simply be changed by right-click and give a new name, anything you desire. It's been in use as far back as I can recall [first computer in '92] and it will accept 11 or 13 characters and a few can't be used, will give an error on those. I frequently use the name of the drive and if room also the capacity such as WDC2TB or Toshiba1TB.

Reaction score
Okay, that reference to Windows 7 is only a Label on the hard drive [HDD or SSD], can simply be changed by right-click and give a new name, anything you desire. It's been in use as far back as I can recall [first computer in '92] and it will accept 11 or 13 characters and a few can't be used, will give an error on those. I frequently use the name of the drive and if room also the capacity such as WDC2TB or Toshiba1TB.
So I am still running Windows 10 and am fretting over nothing. Thank you very much from Australia for your expertise and help Bighorn.

Reaction score
You're welcome from Wyoming. If everything else in Win10 is working properly you probably don't have an issue. Your System report shows Windows 10 Home edition.

Ask a Question