How do you turn BitLocker encryption back on after turning it off to clone the OS drive?

Reaction score
Through the years I have used Samsung Data Migration to clone a drive to a Samsung SSD without any problems. I recently got a new laptop with a BitLocker encrypted drive-M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD, and have been trying to clone the OS to a new Samsung SSD 980 with no luck. The SDM does nothing at all-stuck at zero.

After research, it looks like the encryption has to be turned off before cloning the drive, and I can see where to turn it off. Before I do that though, I would like to know how to turn it back on. Does it turn itself back on automatically when the laptop is turned back on, do I go back to the same toggle used to turn it off to turn it back on, do I need the BitLocker key to turn it back on, or are there other hoops to jump through? TIA

Reaction score
I an control panel search for Bitlocker go to the Bitlocker settings in control panel and you can turn it on there.

Ask a Question