How to use SFC /scannow

How to use SFC /scannow

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

How to use SFC /scannow - Instructions on using the system file checker tool in Windows 10

If you've been asked to run the SFC /scannow tool, it's likely that you have a problem which may be fixed by repairing missing or corrupt system files. Using this tool can sometimes resolve having to perform a full system restore, or sometimes cure unusual oddities that have developed.

To begin, type in cmd in to the search box, then right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator:

Once the command prompt has...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
I am confused. I have enabled administrator. But when I bring up the command prompt, it only comes up as a non-administrator and there seems no way to modify it. In addition, when I look at your picture it does not correspond with what I am seeing on my desktop taskbar or otherwise (see the two captures of my desktop)
Screen cap.JPG
Task bar.jpg
. Then whenever I seek to modify something (uninstall etc.) it asks me if I want to allow the modification and gives me no options of yes or no.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just to confirm, when you find the command prompt on the start menu search, there is no "run as administrator" when you right click it?

The reason the screenshots look different is because you've got your taskbar vertically aligned vs the horizontal one that I use. If you'd like to change this, right click the taskbar (black bar) and make sure it is unlocked (i.e. no tick beside "lock all taskbars"), then click and drag the taskbar to the bottom of the screen (then lock the taskbar again).

Reaction score
Did put it down horizontally. I had it on unlocked. Still the screen shot looks like the vertical one. Here's a snapshot of the command prompt that appears. Then if I try to open "run as administrator" for the command prompt, I get the second picture which is the problem I'm having.
Command Prompt screen.jpg

Attachments

• Prompt to make change.JPG
    Prompt to make change.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 783

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you right mouse click on the Start Button (the windows logo "flag") bottom left corner of your screen, left most icon on your taskbar.....
Do you see a context menu come up as a result of right clicking?
If so do you see an option listed "Command Prompt (Admin)" as the text?
If not you can always go here
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
right click that and choose run as administrator.

Reaction score
Could you add these extras, Ian. Might be useful. Edit out as you please.

First. This is best run from an elevated command prompt. Right click the Start icon and seelct Command prompt (Admin)
The basic command is sfc /scannow. This will cover most eventualities.

More Advanced Options.

sfc [/scannow] [/verifyonly] [/scanfile=file] [/verifyfile=file] [/offbootdir=boot] [/offwindir=win] [/?]

A simple definition of these options:

/scannow. sfc scans all protected operating system files and repairs them wherevers necessary

/verifyonly. Ditto as /scannow but without repairing.

/scanfile=file. Seldom needed. It is the same as /scannow but will only scan, and repair the specified file.

/offbootdir=boot = Used with /offwindir, The user can define the boot directory if it is needed to use sfc from outside of Windows.

/offwindir=win = This can be used with /offbootdir to define the Windows directory (win) when using sfc offline.

/? = help switch used with the sfc command to show detailed help a more extensive coverage than written here.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to add this also, for the dism command.:
  1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type the following command and press Enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I've updated the article with the additional options info. I'll add the DISM info in a separate article, then link to it :).

Ask a Question