HP Printer Software Cannot find physical printer using IP address

Reaction score
I had another thread going about a printer error. There it was recommended that I uninstall the printer, reboot, and then reinstall it.
I unstgalled my HP 6950 printer. I downloaded all the software that HP had for this printer. This included a quick setup .exe file. I ran that program and tried to run the other programs, like a driver installation. In the installation process, I'm supposed to give the printer's IP address. It is on my wireless network and works on my wife's computer and I can ping the IP address of the printer successfully. Windows can find the IP address. Why can't the HP installation program, after a reboot or two, find the IP address when told to seach for it.? This makes no sense. I've been using this same printer on the same network for over seven months and nothing else ahs changed. My wife's computer can find the printer and printed something while I was trying to solve this problem. This makes no sense to me. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Dr K,

you should first set up the printer using a USB cable and then set the WiFi connection, it makes things easier!. :)

Reaction score
A friend of mine has an HP Laserjet that was like that but once it had been set up on USB it then set itself up happily on WiFi to other computers.

Reaction score
Thanks. So, If I plug my one compute into my HP printer with a USB cable, it will find other devices on wi-fi except my computer?

Reaction score
Hi Dr K,

you should first set up the printer using a USB cable and then set the WiFi connection, it makes things easier!. :)
Hi Wolfie,

Thanks for your post. I don't want to sound unappreciative but I would like to know if you can tell me what that would work. I was in IT a long time and this sounds, well, hard to understand. Asking software to do A, doing it to do B, which is significantly different, and then expecting that to enable the sodteware to do A seems odd.

Reaction score
Hi Dr K,

just old school thinking I guess, for a long time even though you could set up a HP via a wireless connection, they would still recommend you use a USB cable first. That said, modern printers might be different as I haven't installed a wireless printer for years.

Anyway, you might find the following link useful?:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03606993 :)

Ask a Question