I can no longer play "The Neverhood" video game anymore after updating to Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004

Reaction score
In case you do decide to upgrade to the latest version of Win 10.

Please be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version!. :cool:
Thank you very much! I will see this too!
And I watched this video.
ScummVM indeed allows me to play The Neverhood game in no problem at all, but the point is that I was not required to use it at all in Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909, because the binary file nhc.exe inside the "setup" folder could play The Neverhood game just fine after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95 of course.

Now you are telling me that since version 2004 and later the binary file nhc.exe inside the "setup" folder doesn't play The Neverhood game anymore no matter what it's compatibility mode is set to and from now on I must use ScummVM in order to play The Neverhood game?

Playing The Neverhood game with ScummVM is not the same as playing The Neverhood game with the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder at all, because with nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder all the enhancements of Realtek High Definition Audio Driver are working, but with ScummVM, all the enhancements of Realtek High Definition Audio Driver don't work at all exactly like they were all disabled! And this is much more fun to play The Neverhood game with all the enhancements of Realtek High Definition Audio driver! Because The Neverhood game both simply and just sounds much funnier with these enhancements of Realtek High Definition Audio driver than without these enhancements of Realtek High Definition Audio driver!

And I still want to know why the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder doesn't play The Neverhood game anymore even with Windows 95 compatibility mode in that damn Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004!?

Why the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder still shows me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box even with Windows 95 compatibility mode in that damn Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004!?

Why the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder plays The Neverhood game with Windows 95 compatibility mode in Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909!?

No one still answered me any of these questions yet and I want to know the answers for these questions already!

To find the answers to these questions I tried to use Hyper V to install any old version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition operating system where the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder does play The Neverhood game when it's compatibility mode is set to Windows 95, but Hyper V doesn't start my virtual machine at all!

But instead Hyper V always shows me the not enough memory or out of memory error all the time!!!
Even if I allocate a lot of memory for the virtual machine still this very annoying error persists!
I am totally lost now!
Please help me!

There are too many problems with Windows 10 Enterprise edition version 2004 that I don't remember to ever have in version 1909!

I totally agree that updating to version 2004 was totally a very bad move!
I don't find version 2004 any better than version 1909 at all!

The graphical user interface and all features in version 2004 are exactly the same as in version 1909, but version 2004 just works less than version 1909!

I did not find anything better in version 2004 compared to version 1909 at all!
This is no question and doubt but just a matter of time when I am going to revert back to version 1909!

Not considering and obviously I won't dare to update to newer version of Windows 10 if available in the future!

I am gonna stay in version 1909 forever! Unless I find any newer version of Windows 10 that does not work less than version 1909 of course!
Definitely this is not the case with version 2004 of course!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have all the game files copied into your VM?, if you don't, that might be the reason why you get the "out of memory" message. I don't know for sure as I have never played the game!. :)

Reaction score
Do you have all the game files copied into your VM?, if you don't, that might be the reason why you get the "out of memory" message. I don't know for sure as I have never played the game!. :)

You don't understand. Recently I downloaded any iso file of any older version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition and then I sent this iso file as an input to the Hyper V wizard to create the virtual machine.

Hyper V created the virtual machine, but it just doesn't start it at all due to this very annoying error.
The iso file that I am talking about is an old version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition operating system.
I am not talking about neverhood.iso at all!

I could not even feed the virtual machine with neverhood.iso file at all, because the virtual machine just doesn't start at all with this very annoying not enough memory or out of memory error!
Even if I lost neverhood.iso file and doesn't have this iso file anymore in my hard drive I still get this very annoying not enough memory or out of memory error!
There is something not right with Hyper V for sure!
Maybe Windows 10 Enterprise edition version 2004 is the reason for this, because I don't remember to have this error at all in version 1909!

If this is really the case then as I said earlier I am going to revert back to version 1909 and this is no question and doubt but just a matter of time!

I will stay in version 1909 forever unless I find a newer version of Windows 10 Enterprise edition that at least doesn't work less than version 1909!

Reaction score
I have no further suggestions for you, sorry!. :(
Okay so I understand that I have to revert back to Windows 10 Enterprise from version 2004 back to version 1909 and everything else will be okay then. Thank you so much for all of your both suggestions, tips, help, support and assistances! It was excellent to use ScummVM for the first time ever in my both entire and whole life!

Important EDIT:

And by the way: In ScummVM The Neverhood video game plays in a window, but not in fullscreen mode at all! And ScummVM also uses aspect ratio instead of stretch!
Also ScummVM doesn't save games to the registry at all but to files instead in my C drive so I can't use the Registry Editor anymore!
Also in ScummVM both the "fastforward" and the "happybirthdayklaymen" codes don't work anymore and I can't play The Neverhood video game without "fastforward" because The Neverhood video game without "fastforward" plays too slowly like both a turtle and a snail!!! And I am used to play The Neverhood video game with "fastforward" for too much very long time!!!
That's it! Now surely (no doubt at all) that I am reverting back to Windows 10 Enterprise edition version 1909 RIGHT NOW!

Last edited:
Reaction score
In Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1909 I could play The Neverhood point and click, adventure, klay world video game by DreamWorks Interactive released in year 1996 by simply downloading the Neverhood.iso file from some website from the internet, then mount the file with Daemon Tools Lite application, and then both just and simply execute the nhc.exe binary file that can be found inside the setup folder after using Windows 95 compatibility mode of course.

Recently I have updated Windows 10 Enterprise to version 2004 and after doing all of the above, nhc.exe shows me a message box "Error reading CD-ROM".

I can't even install the game by using the setup95.exe binary file outside of the setup folder even with Windows 95 compatibility mode!

I also tried "Run as administrator" but to not avail at all!

I can't prevent nhc.exe from showing me this message box!

What's wrong with Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004!?

Considering to revert back to version 1909 of Windows 10 Enterprise!
I have lots of software that wont run on 10. Just my opinion but 10 was just junk. I never liked it and I have had it since it came out. I would like to see other companies supply software that come with a new computer.

Ask a Question