SOLVED I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works and does not give you the same info.

RFM

Reaction score
I tried the sfc and dism fixes (they found nothing) and the start menu was still not working with a left click. Tried the long "Get-app...." process which I could not tell whether it was working or not after an hour so I stopped closed the command window. I decided to try the remove antivirus and re-install. I my case Zone Alarm Security Suite. That did the trick and after 24 hours I still (knock on wood) have a working left click start menu. The AV issue forced me to look into what is best AV so after my license on ZA runs out in 100 days I'm moving to Kaspesky AV. Don't think I need a firewall as I am connected to router and K has the best AV ratings.

Reaction score
Hello,

Just wanted to drop in an tell you, I had this exact problem too, tried the 'hard-crash'-way and it worked!

My PC is a stationary, no bells and whistles. Win10 just 'dropped in' a couple of months ago, and besides a few apps have dificutlies running, there is no problems.

This issue occurred first time this morning.

I would never have thought of just cutting the power could solve anything, but it really did the trick!!

Thank you very much!

Sincerely/Best regards
Mads Aggerholm, Denmark

Reaction score
I know this thread is a few months old, but I found another solution when all the others failed that may work for some. I am a computer technician fixing this for a customer.

I first tried to make a new profile and copy files over. At first, that worked. But then I copied the AppData folder and the same problem reappeared. I remembered having a similar problem in the past (don't remember the nature of that problem) and immediately renamed the "Microsoft" folder under c:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\. When I logged back into the account, it worked again, but that's a lot of customization to lose, so I put it back and tracked it down more precisely.

Long story short, go to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, scroll to the bottom and delete all the FILES (note, NOT FOLDERS!) at the bottom of the list. Some end in .DAT or .LOG* where * is a digit (ie, .LOG1, .LOG2, etc.), though some end in long lines of garbage. I did this from another account. I don't know what would happen if you tried to do it while logged into the account you were trying to modify.

Note, to even see these files you have to follow the instructions earlier in this thread to view hidden and protected operating system files or they won't show up or won't all show up. One showed up when I chose to view hidden files, the rest when I chose to show protected operating system files. I'm not sure which file/files caused it. I just removed them all.

Reaction score
I have just joined this forum and I am having the same problem with the left click not opening the list where the settings power for shutting down , but the right click opens up the other menus, plus the search bar does not work , I have tried some of the methods that have been posted on here but none have worked, so is there some thing that has been successful that has solved the problem.

Reaction score
I have just joined this forum and I am having the same problem with the left click not opening the list where the settings power for shutting down , but the right click opens up the other menus, plus the search bar does not work , I have tried some of the methods that have been posted on here but none have worked, so is there some thing that has been successful that has solved the problem.

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. The left click doesn't work on the start menu on one users account but does on the other. Search bar also does not work. So far the above methods have not worked. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
I have today tried the method that davidhk129 posted which was the link dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth it took a while to get a result but when it was finished I restarted the computer and the left click worked again so thanks david for your method.

Reaction score
I'll be darned!! I pulled the plug on my Dell XPS and then plugged it back in and now the left click button works to shut down the computer. Go figure....thanks Tristan! None of the other suggestions above worked.

Reaction score
I had to uninstall AVG FREE which is a known cause. Also Dropbox is a known problem (but I don't use Dropbox)

Reaction score
i tried both the steps but that doesn't work for me....at second step it comes with "the source file could not be found" and is directing me to visit http//go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=243077

and
the DISM file could be found at c\windows\logs\dism\dism.logs

i found the above file but what to do with that?

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-13_22-5-29.png
    upload_2016-7-13_22-5-29.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 767
  • upload_2016-7-13_22-7-5.png
    upload_2016-7-13_22-7-5.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 811
Reaction score
I had the same issue and I fixed it by changing the DCOM settings for the pc from Connect to None. I went in control panel, admin tools, component services, computers, my computer - right click - properties and default properties. No need to reboot.

Reaction score
My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

I have the same problem, i tried trista's advice and it worked. but what i did is disconnect the power supply and battery and hold the power button for ten seconds to remove the remaining power from my laptop.

Reaction score
While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power.
This worked for me. If I hadn't read that it worked for you I never would have thought to try it in a million years! I wasn't sure if it was a fault or it was a feature of Windows I just didn't like. Harmony has now been restored in my little corner of the universe.

Helen

Reaction score
My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

Hi all! Was Googling for a solution to this left-click problem and was directed to this forum. Lucky me!

Tried davidhk129 's procedure and got #1 result, "No integrity violation".

So, I tried Trista 's suggestion to "crash" system by turning power off.

Switched off PC via power supply switch, while in Windows. Waited a few seconds and switched PC ON.

YES! It worked!

Left mouse button now opens Start Menu normally.

I felt obliged to subscribe to Windows 10 Forums just to give you feedback and thank all for the help.

In time, PC is a desktop.

Take care all and good luck with the 10!

Reaction score
Try going to the Tablet mode. In the lower right corner in the Action center there is a button to go to Tablet mode. After being in Tablet mode for a bit, go back to the Action center and click on the button to go out of Tablet mode. Now the left click on the Start will work.

Reaction score
I was playing a game (point n click) anyways it malfunctioned during the game. Exited the game, restarted the PC, didn't help. Start button nor left clicked worked, just highlighted, tried system restore, still didn't work. Then I intensely pressed continuously at the left mouse button and it worked again. It was very weird. To be honest I dont really know if this is hardware problem or software. Anyways guys try moving the cursor over a close or minimize button or so and press continuously on the left mouse button. Who knows maybe it will work for you too. ( sounds crazy tho)

Reaction score
It is power-saver related (usually can't left click on anything). I have not determined which one (Windows 10 has many) of the power-saver options is causing this but when I do, Ill post it. No need to "hard-crash" your machines and possibly cause damage to your gear. Simply hit ctrl, alt, and delete, then select Task Manager. Once Task Manager comes up just close it out. For some reason, this restores the use of the built-in mouse and other peripheral mice you may have attached. It will keep happening, when it does just ctrl+alt+del and open task manager then close it. Its a total pain but way better than pulling the plug. So frustrating that we have to do this! Windows 10 came this way out of the box! Grrr!

Reaction score
Cheers Dave - had exactly the same problem, running the Powershell command fixed it - many thanks

Reaction score
As of 9/1/16, this option worked after reboot....not sure what level of updates I have, probably all of them since you're stuck with auto updates.

Click start, then 'command prompt admin", type powershell then enter, then enter this command line and Enter -
COPY AND PASTE ONLY!!
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Good luck

Reaction score
As of 9/1/16, this option worked after reboot....not sure what level of updates I have, probably all of them since you're stuck with auto updates.

Click start, then 'command prompt admin", type powershell then enter, then enter this command line and Enter -
COPY AND PASTE ONLY!!
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Good luck

Hi - many thanks for taking the time to reply - yes it worked a treat thanks. Still haven't worked out what caused it to go awol in the first place but that might be for another day!

Ask a Question