SOLVED I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works and does not give you the same info.

Reaction score
to DAVIDHK129-- your second solution of reinstalling the appx etc. WORKED!! I cant thank you enough. I had tried chkdsk, scannow, etc. But your apppx script did it. My left click disappeared after an update. Microsoft- stop sending out buggy patches.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Neither left click or pressing the Windows button on my laptop won't work. Getting the error message below while running the Appx Package.

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
error 0x800703E7: While preparing to process the request, the system failed to register the
windows.repositoryExtension extension due to the following error: Error performing inpage operation.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 39de522f-44d9-0000-077a-de39d944d201 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 39de522f-44d9-0000-077a-de39d944d201
At line:1 char:38
+ ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Reaction score
I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works, but does not give the same results.

The sudden and mysterious "Left button behaves as right while right remains the same" is at least a 20 year old bug that Microsoft has most definitely failed to recognize and fix. I'm not sure about win 3.1 as I never really used it, but win 95 definitely had the problem. In fact at an official Microsoft event in Auckland New Zealand showcasing the coming launch of win 98 the problem embarrasingly occurred with the presenter and she was at a loss for what to do while she wisely distracted the audience. I have perspnally continued to frequently experience this mouse issue since on every major upgrade of windows and am currently experiencing it also on my Acer win 10 laptop trackpad!

There IS a temporary fix to this by repeatedly pressing both buttons simutaneously, which has worked for me on all versions of win 95 through win 10... MICROSOFT PLEASE FIX THIS AGE-OLD BUG!

Reaction score
Dave, that worked!!! Start Button and Action Center icon are now working they way they did previously... File Manager icon does not show up anymore which I assume is normal, being that I suppose it only shows up when it has a red X on it... Everything seems Hunky Dory again and I thank you for that fix!!!
Excellent - time to create a restore point

Reaction score
Give this a try.................................

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....
PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this( please use Copy and paste to avoid typo) ............

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Start button again.
It worked for me too! Thank you soooo much!

Reaction score

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this( please use Copy and paste to avoid typo) ............

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works and does not give you the same info. This worked perfectly! Thank you soooo much!

Reaction score
I cannot left click my Start Button, only a right click works and does not give you the same info.

Thank you! It worked perfectly for me too!

Reaction score

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

This is SUPER help - thank you! It fixed my problem straight away. Copy paste ... at first I typed an although al looked fine, it worked best the second time around when I copy/pasted. THANK YOU!

Reaction score
I know this thread is a few months old, but I found another solution when all the others failed that may work for some. I am a computer technician fixing this for a customer.

I first tried to make a new profile and copy files over. At first, that worked. But then I copied the AppData folder and the same problem reappeared. I remembered having a similar problem in the past (don't remember the nature of that problem) and immediately renamed the "Microsoft" folder under c:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\. When I logged back into the account, it worked again, but that's a lot of customization to lose, so I put it back and tracked it down more precisely.

Long story short, go to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, scroll to the bottom and delete all the FILES (note, NOT FOLDERS!) at the bottom of the list. Some end in .DAT or .LOG* where * is a digit (ie, .LOG1, .LOG2, etc.), though some end in long lines of garbage. I did this from another account. I don't know what would happen if you tried to do it while logged into the account you were trying to modify.

Note, to even see these files you have to follow the instructions earlier in this thread to view hidden and protected operating system files or they won't show up or won't all show up. One showed up when I chose to view hidden files, the rest when I chose to show protected operating system files. I'm not sure which file/files caused it. I just removed them all.
Asmodee: thanks a million. I've been working on this problem for a few days off-and-on with no luck. This solved my problem.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the solutions here, luckily for me the sfc /scannow works and I am able to use the left click again. Just wondering at the same time this happens has anyone noticed the loss of sound from their PC? Seems to me if I am playing a file through VLC the sound will drop out and at the same time lose the ability to left click. This seems to be happening on a quite a frequent basis but I am unable to determine a root cause for it. Obviously constantly running scannow is getting a little tiresome.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Asmodee: thanks a million. I've been working on this problem for a few days off-and-on with no luck. This solved my problem.

Yes, but this just proves the point - this is a MICROSOFT bug... They need to admit it here, and stop blaming third parties...

Reaction score

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

Did not work for me

Reaction score
Tried removing the battery as well and that also did not work.
At this point, I tried everyone of the above recommendations and none of them worked for me. I will keep trying

Reaction score

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

Thank you David...it works like magic :)

Reaction score
Tried removing the battery as well and that also did not work.
At this point, I tried everyone of the above recommendations and none of them worked for me. I will keep trying

I have also tried every fix suggested in this forum, and others suggested in
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-menu-does-not-open-windows-10
and none but the following worked. My thanks are due to Jeremy in the latter forum (a year ago) who pointed out that the problem could be caused by a corrupted Tile Data Layer database file in the affected account - as noted here, a newly created Administrator account will probably not demonstrate the problem.
The corrupted file can be reset by copying the TileDataLayer folder from the new account to the affected account, i.e. copy C:/Users/xyz/AppData\Local\TileDataLayer and paste it into the affected user account. The folders need temporary saving and renaming during the substitution, with accounts being inactive when operations are carried out.

Reaction score
I have also tried every fix suggested in this forum, and others suggested.

Come on Microsoft, I think this is an issue we can no longer ignore. It is a Microsoft bug that they have failed to remove from every major update of Windows. I am not a novice, but a programmer also. They really need to acknowledge it and stop blaming third-party software developers... Spread the word.

Reaction score
I know this thread is a few months old, but I found another solution when all the others failed that may work for some. I am a computer technician fixing this for a customer.

I first tried to make a new profile and copy files over. At first, that worked. But then I copied the AppData folder and the same problem reappeared. I remembered having a similar problem in the past (don't remember the nature of that problem) and immediately renamed the "Microsoft" folder under c:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\. When I logged back into the account, it worked again, but that's a lot of customization to lose, so I put it back and tracked it down more precisely.

Long story short, go to C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, scroll to the bottom and delete all the FILES (note, NOT FOLDERS!) at the bottom of the list. Some end in .DAT or .LOG* where * is a digit (ie, .LOG1, .LOG2, etc.), though some end in long lines of garbage. I did this from another account. I don't know what would happen if you tried to do it while logged into the account you were trying to modify.

Note, to even see these files you have to follow the instructions earlier in this thread to view hidden and protected operating system files or they won't show up or won't all show up. One showed up when I chose to view hidden files, the rest when I chose to show protected operating system files. I'm not sure which file/files caused it. I just removed them all.
Thank you thank you!
I have tried all the other options and none of them worked. This problem has been driving me nuts for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes the PC would start and everything was fine, but most of the time it started with no start menu and no right click menu for running programs in the start bar.
After deleting these files everything works as expected and the PC is more responsive too!

Reaction score
Thank you thank you!
I have tried all the other options and none of them worked. This problem has been driving me nuts for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes the PC would start and everything was fine, but most of the time it started with no start menu and no right click menu for running programs in the start bar.
After deleting these files everything works as expected and the PC is more responsive too!
Glad to have helped a couple of people. My memory is crap, so when I find a solution to something weird I try to put it "out there" somewhere so I can find it again if I need it. It's a little strange looking up a a problem you don't remember ever having seen before only to get the answer from past-you, but it works for me.

Reaction score
My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

Thanks! This solved my problem. Couldn't left click anything. Couldn't even open images and computer was acting really slow. This was on a freshly formatted 256GB SSD with Win10 Enterprise x64 completely updated.

Reaction score
I am having the same left click does not work on Start icon. Right click works ok. left click works everywhere else. I have tried (1) running sfc /scannow - no problems found. (2) running the Appx package in the Admin mode several times. Got a different notes each time about initializing, but then it just sat there blinking with no activity each time. (3) deleting AVG Antivirus and reloading it, no difference. (4) Had Nvidia's GeoForce Experience, but deleted that app before this click problem appeared. (5) plain old reboot has worked two time of two tries.

Go Figure!!

W10Pro 64bit latest updates

Last edited:

Ask a Question