Start Button left click doesn't work,(right click only). Cannot use right click on items in task bar

Reaction score
I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I had problems going into and out of sleep mode which seem have been resolved by installing updates for Intel Graphics. Now I can't get anything to come up when I left click on the Start button. All of the other icons in the task bar will only work with a left click of the mouse, nothing happens with a right click. Also, I did not get Cortana when I upgraded to Windows 10 on this device. I also upgraded another lap top and have Cortana on that one. With all of these problems occurring one after the other, can I reinstall Windows 10?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing some specifics as to the computer your having problems with.
Laptop or Desktop, or 2 in 1, or Tablet.
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete)
What are you using as an input device?
Trackpad / Touchpad, wired USB optical mouse, wireless mouse (Bluetooth, IR, RF)?

Reaction score
Would you mind sharing some specifics as to the computer your having problems with.
Laptop or Desktop, or 2 in 1, or Tablet.
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number (complete)
What are you using as an input device?
Trackpad / Touchpad, wired USB optical mouse, wireless mouse (Bluetooth, IR, RF)?
HP Pavilion/Laptop/

Reaction score
HP Pavilion/Laptop
Model G6U18UA#ABA
Using a Logitech wireless mouse.
It seems I'm not alone with this problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have the option to experiment with a normal USB wired optical mouse?
Are the symptoms just as bad or worse when you use the track / touch pad on the laptop.
Been reading some problems relating to Logitech devices and evidently the driver for the USB Dongle.

Reaction score
I tried a wired optical mouse and it did not solve the problem. I still cannot bring up the start menu by left clicking on the start button, no right click function on icons in the task bar. Right and left click work fine on the desktop, though. Would reinstalling Windows 10 help solve these issues? I had a problem with shutting down and with sleep mode which I thought had been solved by installing updates for Intel Graphics, but now these issues have returned, albeit intermittently. If unable to reinstall Windows 10, has Microsoft issued fixes for any of these issues?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
has Microsoft issued fixes for any of these issues?
Hard to say, MS doesn't share much as to what may or may not be included in their "Accumulative Updates" which we just got another one Tuesday.
Would reinstalling Windows 10 help solve these issues?
Maybe
Resetting, Re-Installing (in-place upgrade / Repair), or Clean Installing will.... but only..... fix issues with "Windows".
If the problem is hardware related or hardware driver related or third party software related, then you won't fix much by re-installing Windows, no matter which method you use.

Reaction score
Hard to say, MS doesn't share much as to what may or may not be included in their "Accumulative Updates" which we just got another one Tuesday.

Maybe
Resetting, Re-Installing (in-place upgrade / Repair), or Clean Installing will.... but only..... fix issues with "Windows".
If the problem is hardware related or hardware driver related or third party software related, then you won't fix much by re-installing Windows, no matter which method you use.

I reinstalled Windows 10 and that seems to have solved the problem. However, I continue to have problems putting my computer to sleep, into hibernation, or shutting it down. On the first attempt at any of these options the display goes dark, but the power button stays lit. I cannot wake the laptop up by pressing a key. The only way I can wake it up is by forcing a shut down by pressing and holding the power button. After it shuts down I restart it. After doing this I am able to put the device into sleep, hibernation, or shut it down with no problem. The first attempt fails, but the second (after forcing a shutdown and rebooting) works fine. I found that I can get around this problem by first restarting, then proceeding with one of those 3 options. I have another laptop with Windows 10 installed and it has not had any of these issues. This device is a HP Pavilion, the other one (without these issues) is a Lenovo Think Pad.

Reaction score
See my posts. Search under Support on Build 10586. I found a solution that worked for my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I can left click on the Start Menu and right click on the taskbar (to open a new incognito window in Chrome, for instance).

Reaction score
I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I had problems going into and out of sleep mode which seem have been resolved by installing updates for Intel Graphics. Now I can't get anything to come up when I left click on the Start button. All of the other icons in the task bar will only work with a left click of the mouse, nothing happens with a right click. Also, I did not get Cortana when I upgraded to Windows 10 on this device. I also upgraded another lap top and have Cortana on that one. With all of these problems occurring one after the other, can I reinstall Windows 10?

Yes, I did post the same reply in another thread about this, I just copied and pasted it here cause it worked for me and my sister.

My sister and I had the same issue. I spent hours online looking for ways to fix it and nothing helped. My sister found a way that worked for both of us (her using pc, me using a laptop), Now, I know this isn't the best thing to do for a computer but I couldn't get to certain programs so I gave it a try, even though it sounded idiotic and like it wouldn't work. While it's logged in to a user, pull the plug and cut off power. In other words, hard crash it. If you're using a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery while it's running. Our issues were alittle different, she couldn't left click anything and certain parts of her system were glitching out. For me, I just couldn't use left click for the start menu or anything on the right of the taskbar. But this solution worked for both of us. I'm glad she told me before I backed all my data up and tried to make a new administrative account cause it saved me a ton of time and frustration. Like I said, I know hard crashing a computer/laptop isn't good for it, but it did work. Give it a try if you want, maybe it'll work for you too.

Reaction score
Always try the simplest fixes first. I'm glad I did before attempting the mind-numbing convoluted solutions people love to come up with on forums like these. Among all the responses I found on the Internet, the simplest was this: Uninstall anti-virus, restart the computer, and reinstall the anti-virus. Success.

Just so you know, I had Windows 10 on my laptop for a few months and then all of a sudden the left-click didn't work on my Start button and on other icons in the system tray. By hovering over the Start button using my mouse with one hand, and then left-clicking using the laptop touchpad with my other hand, I was able to open the Control Panel and connect to the Internet. Then, I went to PandaSecurity.com, scrolled to the bottom of their home page, and in the footer, clicked "Free Antivirus 2016," followed the links to the download, and downloaded the totally free program to my hard drive.

I then went back to the Control Panel and uninstalled the free copy of Panda Antivirus that I already had on my laptop (to which I have a large-screen monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up). I also made sure that no other antivirus programs were still on my machine, like my expired copy of Norton 360. When I restarted my computer, my mouse worked just fine. I hopped back on the Internet and reinstalled Panda Antivirus from my newly downloaded copy, and that was a success, too, and my mouse still worked fine. I ran the Panda program, selecting to scan only the critical areas, and in a few minutes it scanned 73,000 files, and deleted a cookie. Mouse still worked fine. To make sure, I shut down my computer. Waited a minute. Started it back up. Everything fine.

Again, always try the simplest fixes first.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had just thought it was me being thick, I have been trying to resolve the problem of the start screen not working on left click, I have tried the 'Power shell' solution which didn't work for me. It was suggested that I create a recovery file and wipe the disc, this has solved nothing as I now also have the problem of a black screen after start up.
I am wondering if I might be better off doing a factory reset and reinstalling windows 7. Any thoughts please.

Reaction score
I had to uninstall AVG FREE which is a known cause. Also Dropbox is a known problem (but I don't use Dropbox)

Reaction score
The last round MS updates was worse than a virus. When they release the final version it may be the end of computing as we currently know it. Another issue is I don't like is why did they opt to automatically delete the Windows old logs.

Ask a Question