Importing Sd Card Photos In Win 10

Reaction score
There's talk that the import feature for cameras and my case sd card reader doesn't exist in windows 10. It was real simple in win 8. Just stick the sad card in, the app flys out and you x the photos you want to import. That feature isn't in 10.

Anybody know of an app that will do this or some tech advice on how to program myself

Reaction score
I have photo gallery installed (I think it was a part of Windows Essentials Movie Maker which I installed along with Windows Live Mail). To check I just now plugged my Canon camera into a front USB port, opened Photo Gallery and imported my pictures. I've used Photo Gallery for the last 10 months of beta testing Windows 10 and it works just fine. Also imports pictures from my Nikon Cool Pix camera.

Reaction score
Thank you. It works but is only one of two programs that doesn't have the correct resolution. It reminds me of an xp program on a bad monitor without the correct driver?

Reaction score
There's talk that the import feature for cameras and my case sd card reader doesn't exist in windows 10. It was real simple in win 8. Just stick the sad card in, the app flys out and you x the photos you want to import. That feature isn't in 10.

Anybody know of an app that will do this or some tech advice on how to program myself

Reaction score
I can't help as I have the same problem. Was hoping someone else might help as no solutions given yet.

Reaction score
This is what happens when I plug my camera into a USB port on my computer. Same thing should happen with a card reader:
Fly out pops up asking what to do with the new device.
Another pop up gives options.
Selecting import opens the photo app.
I prefer to use the photo gallery app so I open it from the start menu and use it to import the pictures from the camera. Then I use Paint Shop Pro to edit and save the photos. Your Windows 10 should do the same thing.

sdcard.jpg sdcard1.jpg

Reaction score
That's good information Dipsy, but what happens when Win 10 tells you there are no files on the SD card?

Reaction score
I was wondering what to do if I just wished to use memory card, but I can try the camera directly plugged into a USB port.

Reaction score
I have photo gallery installed (I think it was a part of Windows Essentials Movie Maker which I installed along with Windows Live Mail). To check I just now plugged my Canon camera into a front USB port, opened Photo Gallery and imported my pictures. I've used Photo Gallery for the last 10 months of beta testing Windows 10 and it works just fine. Also imports pictures from my Nikon Cool Pix camera.
sound like same problem I have, I can only import photos using sd card in a card reader slotted into usb.

Reaction score

I haven't been able to import (or save?) the photos that appeared on the screen instantly when I plugged in my memory, mounted on a Reader Card, to my computer USB when I transferred them from my Nikon Coolpix S3300. However, there isn't any link around the photos so I could import them. Someone told me to do this and I did:

File Explorer > This PC > Camera icon...but the Camera icon is nowhere to find!

Would you or anyone else here happen to know what I should do to import them so I can send them to someone who's waiting for them?

I too have Photo Gallery installed but when I transferred the photos from the camera it didn't give me a chance to choose the program.

Thanks so much for any ideas. Adela

Reaction score
File Explorer > This PC > Camera icon...but the Camera icon is nowhere to find!
It is not much of an icon. It has a drive letter. If it is the only USB drive it will be USB (D) and will be just below Local Disk (C).

Reaction score
Thank you Dan99. I went back to This PC and saw "Removable Disk E". I clicked on it and it showed 3 items: DCIM, MISC, NCFL. I double clicked on DCIM (twice to put 100NIKON in the left column of Life Explorer). This showed 13 coded files. When I clicked on each it showed one picture of the 13 transferred. The question now is, how do I get them all opened and imported? Should I drag each one somewhere to open them? Or is there an easier way.

Hope to hear from you on finishing this little project. Thanks so much again. Adela

Reaction score
Highlight them all which will allow you to open them all at once. Then highlight all of them and drag them all at the same time. It may take a little practice to do the highlighting but I am sure you will succeed. Just keep the left click button depressed till you get it. Drag it across from one side to the other and then down (or up).
This will copy them and not remove them from your card.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dan99, the pix came already highlighted with a checkmark on each one. When I try to highlight them the old way all they do is lose their individual checkmarks but they don't move at all. But if I could drag them...where to please? Thank you.

Reaction score
You can drag them to pictures. If you have a lot of pictures already there, to avoid clutter, you can create new folders there with various categories. For example, vacation, hobby etc.

Open pictures folder and select New Folder at the top, give it a name and drag pictures to it. When you browse for photos just click it and it will open. I always choose the large icon view so I can see the photo.

An alternate method for moving files is to copy and paste. Right click on the drive and choose copy then go to Pictures and do the same but choose paste.

Sorry if these instructions are too basic but the other less knowledgeable members may benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Figured it out. I put the SD card into the card reader. Opened file explorer. Right clicked on the drive where the SD card is. Clicked Open Autoplay. Chose Photo Gallery. Bingo! Each time I put the SD card in the slot, Photo Gallery opens.

Reaction score
THANK YOU, Dayper! That was very helpful as I was having the same problem. I was able to upload my photos from my SD card. Only thing is that they appeared to be in reverse order (newest to oldest) of when I used Windows 8. I so wish they had just left Windows alone & made the new version like 8! So frustrating on many levels. But thank you again! :)

Reaction score
I still thank you, but I spoke too soon. They uploaded, but not into my pictures like they did with Windows 8. They're in something called "Collection January 2016." I don't know how I will find that again once I close the window the pictures uploaded to.

Reaction score
Right after you click "import", you'll see a box that says "More Options" in the lower left corner. Click on that and then on "Browse" to decide where you'd like your pictures to store.

Ask a Question