Importing Sd Card Photos In Win 10

Reaction score
Thank you again. What it did was put them into a new album that I did not see right away. So different than Windows 8... Guess I'll get the hang of it eventually.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Yes you will I find it a lot easier with Ten than It did with 8.1

Reaction score
I have been reading this thread with interest as I to have the same problem. Went through process above but for some reason it appears there is an error on my SD Card and so my pictures will not load. I have tried scanning but it can't seem to fix the problem has anyone any ideas?

Reaction score
Somehow I just lost all I typed. None of this works for me. I have a slot for my camera card built in to the front of my desktop case to the left of the D/CD and E/DVD drives. I'm guessing they might be drives F, G, H and J, but they are not USB slots -- they're for cards of different sizes, and these drives are listed as USB. I don't have File Explorer -- looked for it in a search, but got an error message. I use Windows Explorer all the time, but it has no camera icon, even with the camera card plugged in. I tried highlighting these drives, but it took forever for that spiral thing and just got error messages. I refuse to buy a card reader, which is regressing, something from 2000. This card slot was supposed to do away with the need for that. This has just wasted all my time, and I want to dump Win 10 and go back to 7, which read the card just fine. I need photos for my work.

Reaction score
P.S. I forgot -- if I ever had a way of connecting my camera to the computer, it is long gone. The card slot was supposed to take care of that, and it has worked for years in XP Pro and 7. Thanks in advance for any workable ideas.

Reaction score
@ javajive These slots for cards are drives F,G,H,I and are USB drives. Why are they USB? because USB headers on the mobo are cheap and easy, because the cards are so slow, even the fastest ones that USB 2 is fast enough. And, lastly, because Windows does it that way.

I have these slots on 3 different machines and they all worked with W7 and they all work with W10.

So plug in a card and then in Windows Explorer/File explorer click on these USB symbols until one of them shows the file list. Easy. You could of course check device manager just in case the USB root hub is not working on your machine.

As for connecting your camera. We have 4 digital cameras of varying vintages( 2 Canon, 1 Panasonic and 1 Fuji) . The older ones use a proprietary cable at the camera end and USB at the other end. The newer ones have standard microUSB at the camera end and standard full size USB at the PC end. All of the cameras just look like a disk drive, showing the files on the SD card.

If your camera uses Firewire then you may be out of luck as that has mostly disappeared.

Reaction score
Figured it out. I put the SD card into the card reader. Opened file explorer. Right clicked on the drive where the SD card is. Clicked Open Autoplay. Chose Photo Gallery. Bingo! Each time I put the SD card in the slot, Photo Gallery opens.
You saved our day. Couldn't download from the Nikon sd card. Tried your tips and it worked as you said the first time. Thank you so much for the help.

Reaction score
You saved our day. Couldn't download from the Nikon sd card. Tried your tips and it worked as you said the first time. Thank you so much for the help.
You are most welcome. At 69 I don't always have the answers, but I'm just curious enough to poke around until I find one. I'm happy the solution worked for you. :)

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and am a little nervous and intimidated, but here goes. I really need some help. I have read through this thread and no one else seems to have my exact issue and I am stymied at this point.

The photos on the SD card are read and found and I see them. I choose the place I want the photos to import to, but once I do that, the screen disappears and nothing further happens. However, the folder I made in the process is exactly where I put it, but, of course, it's empty. I have repeated this process, checking and double-checking every step and I am pulling my hair out.

Obviously, there is something wrong, but I am not certain as to how to proceed. Should I look for some sort of driver or update that addresses this weirdness?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. ♥

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and am a little nervous and intimidated, but here goes. I really need some help. I have read through this thread and no one else seems to have my exact issue and I am stymied at this point.

The photos on the SD card are read and found and I see them. I choose the place I want the photos to import to, but once I do that, the screen disappears and nothing further happens. However, the folder I made in the process is exactly where I put it, but, of course, it's empty. I have repeated this process, checking and double-checking every step and I am pulling my hair out.

Obviously, there is something wrong, but I am not certain as to how to proceed. Should I look for some sort of driver or update that addresses this weirdness?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. ♥

Hi sorry about your trouble have you made sure that your SD Card has the lock tab disabled, I am sure you have but needed to ask. Have you tried importing straight from the camera, also are you sure the photo are on the SD Card and not held in the memory of the camera. Check all I have put and see if that helps

Reaction score
This is what happens when I plug my camera into a USB port. I open Photo Gallery select the import option and Photo Gallery creates a folder and puts the photos in it. I can then access the folder at any time by opening Photo Gallery.

import1.jpg import2.jpg import3.jpg

Reaction score
Hi sorry about your trouble have you made sure that your SD Card has the lock tab disabled, I am sure you have but needed to ask. Have you tried importing straight from the camera, also are you sure the photo are on the SD Card and not held in the memory of the camera. Check all I have put and see if that helps

Thank you so much, but no. Sadly that is not it. :(

Reaction score
Open the control panel, select Default Programs > Change Auto Play Programs, click on Auto Play Programs when the page opens you'll see a section called Camera Storage, from the drop down menu select Choose a default program for memory cards.

Reaction score
Open the control panel, select Default Programs > Change Auto Play Programs, click on Auto Play Programs when the page opens you'll see a section called Camera Storage, from the drop down menu select Choose a default program for memory cards.

I will try this when I get home! THANK YOU! I hope it works!

Reaction score

Unfortunately no difference. I am including some screen caps for info. This is an issue on my Father's computer. I am still on 7, but wanting to update. But after all this, maybe not. :(

The caps are in order. The problem exists when I choose where the photos need to go. I have to be able to place these damn pics in a folder of their own, so Dad can find them easily. And they remain dated and sorted. But dammit, it's not letting me. When I choose the folder (labeled 'test' for the benefit of these pics), the only choice at the bottom is "add this folder to pictures". I don't ****ing want that LoL. But I click on it anyway and............ everything disappears.

HELP?

THANK YOU!!

Attachments

• cap 1.jpg
    cap 1.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 533
  • cap 2.jpg
    cap 2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 458
  • cap 3.jpg
    cap 3.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 551