Installation tried many times: Getting files ready for installation always gets stuck

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Installation is fine until it reaches the "Getting files ready for installation". This has happened 5 times to me. It always get stuck in different percentages (8%, 49%, 17%, etc.).

Before getting stuck, the USB drive (from where I booted) blinks, and the drive led blinks randomly. After getting stuck, the USB drive blinks no more and the drive led keeps stuck in its red color.

I created the bootable USB drive with Rufus, but before that, I directly chose the option of creating the bootable USB from Microsoft's Media Tool.

Could my SSD drive be faulty? My reason for clean installing Windows was that startup was taking longer and longer each time, which didn't happen two months ago

What can I do to complete the installation process

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I created the bootable USB drive with Rufus, but before that, I directly chose the option of creating the bootable USB from Microsoft's Media Tool.
Did both instances of your installation media produce the same results?
IF so, then you might assume that there is something wrong with the physical media or the ISO you are using to produce the media.
Does your system have an optical drive?
Perhaps using ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a DVD might produce different results, otherwise you may be on to something regarding your SSD. If you have another hard disk available perhaps try installing to that and see if the results are different. Might be a clue there.

Ask a Question