Internal Card Reader Drops Out

Reaction score
hi when I use my internal card reader when I eject the card (does not matter which type)
I am seeing its ok to remove the card but then should I want to put another card in too read my reader does not work until I reboot its a usb reader was working in w7pro with no problem any thoughts tried moving lead to another usb but still same problem

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Internal card reader.... when you say move the lead to another USB, do you mean another USB port / jumper block on the motherboard?
Does the device require its' own driver? Do you have all the most recent updates for Windows 10? Does you computer or motherboard manufacturer have any chipset driver updates?

Reaction score
oh sooo many questions so little time Lol yes I mean tried on all different jumper blocks on the motherboard of which their are 3 usb all other usb devices work on these blocks it is a no name generic card reader cheap and cheerful from abroad I suspect no name etc. it works fine on w7 comes up as a usb device I will just leave it not connected for now I don't really need it just annoying
thanks for the reply

Reaction score
update too the above I have found if I eject the sd card from explorer I am able to put another card in and it works if I eject a card from the notification area I loose the card reader and have too reboot too get it back any thoughts boffins ???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does it seem to make any difference as to the format of the SD cards you are using (ntfs, fat32, xfat, ect.,)
When you have one of the SD Cards attached, look in device manager, specifically at that particular drive under "Disk Drives".
Make sure that it is not configured for "write caching" and that it is configured for "Quick removal".

Reaction score
yes I have tried that also moved too different usb plugs no luck so for now I guess I will have too remember too eject from explorer

{after thought}
are you on the insider program and if so would a clean install help ie completely formatting the drive outside the machine and installing from scratch and if I did this would I get my insider status back sorry too deviate a little

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
are you on the insider program
yes
would a clean install help ie completely formatting the drive outside the machine and installing from scratch and if I did this would I get my insider status back
It might.
I've done it a couple times to fix some minor issues although I can't guarantee that it will fix this particular one.
As far as "Insider status". If after the final release you updated to the last insider bits, you are currently running Windows 10 as a non-insider.
You actually have to rejoin the insider program in Windows Updates -> Advanced Options -> Get started
make sure you read the warnings very well.
If you have taken those steps already to rejoin the insider program and confirmed your way through the prompts, then your insider status will not change with a clean install.
You will have to choose to leave the program / stop getting builds.

Ask a Question