Internet connection cut outs?

Reaction score
At least every week and sometimes every few days my internet connection fails and I have to re-start my computer. I have an Ethernet connection from my Netcomm AC1200 Gigabit router to an HP P6-2203A Desktop. Is there some way I can fix this annoyance?

Reaction score
Hi redrooster,

are you running the latest version of Win 10? (currently version 2004). An upgrade (if necessary) often solves such problems!. :)

Reaction score
I had a look at systems/ About, it says 2004 from July this year. Or is that just an update and I have to do more?

Reaction score
2004 is a Version Upgrade over 1909, 1903, 1809, etc. Then there are Build updates for each Version. Windows key + R, type winver to get the numbers.

Reaction score
From Win 10 settings, select Network, then Change Adapter Options, right-click on the Ethernet network used, select Properties, then the Configure Button, and select the Power Management tab. Is the option "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" unchecked?

Have you also restarted any modems and routers?

Finally, search for "Power Options" in the Windows search box. Is the system set to High Performance? Go over the settings. Are you satisfied with the time limits set to turn off the monitor, hard drive, etc? In my case, I don't have anything turned off and I set anything for maximum output, power use, etc., in order to get the best performance.

Reaction score
From Win 10 settings, select Network, then Change Adapter Options, right-click on the Ethernet network used, select Properties, then the Configure Button, and select the Power Management tab. Is the option "Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" unchecked?

Have you also restarted any modems and routers?

Finally, search for "Power Options" in the Windows search box. Is the system set to High Performance? Go over the settings. Are you satisfied with the time limits set to turn off the monitor, hard drive, etc? In my case, I don't have anything turned off and I set anything for maximum output, power use, etc., in order to get the best performance.
I've done that, now I hope it works? No, I haven't restarted any modems and routers? Thanks for the ideas fellas.

Reaction score
At least every week and sometimes every few days my internet connection fails and I have to re-start my computer. I have an Ethernet connection from my Netcomm AC1200 Gigabit router to an HP P6-2203A Desktop. Is there some way I can fix this annoyance?

Could be that your Ethernet cable/plug and/or connection has something wrong with it or is faulty, replace the cable. Is your Ethernet wire/plug RJ45 plugged into a wall socket? If it is then your socket and/or plug could be faulty, this happens to me sometimes with my SmartTV that is connected to an Ethernet RJ45 type wall plug and and cable that the connection sometimes disconnects for no reason and I have to use the WiFi part of my SmartTV and then it works perfectly. There are allot of variables why this happens including your modem, check and eliminate all these problems. If you have WiFi then use that.

Reaction score
My internet crashed again just now so it lasted about a week this time. I have replaced the Ethernet cable's with new ones, I have changed to Ethernet from Wi-Fi to see if I can fix it because it was crashing on Wi-Fi as well? I don't think it's the ISP shutting down for whatever reason because I can restart the computer right away and it's Ok again? This is weird?

Reaction score
Are you sharing the connection with other users/devices/family members/neighbours?. :) That might account for the drop-off if you are?. :)

Reaction score
Are you sharing the connection with other users/devices/family members/neighbours?. :) That might account for the drop-off if you are?. :)
I gave my password to the guy next door ages ago, so I'll change the password and see if that will improve things?

Reaction score
Might be wise if he has multiple devices himself!. :)
Well, I've changed the password in my router, so I'll just have to wait and see if that was what was causing it? I told him at the start when I gave him the password if he abuses it and it disrupts my internet Ill be cutting it off but I had forgotten all about it until you reminded me about it?

Reaction score
I'm still getting cut-outs, it doesn't seem to be as bad now though, maybe once a week but it's still annoying when I have to restart my computer because it always stops in the middle of something interesting, every time. lol. By the way, what does ''Push notifications'' mean?

Reaction score
Push notifications
It means that they just want to send you alerts when there are new posts!.

Do you have the latest version of Win 10 yet (2009)?. :)

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with one machine and tried the following as well, and I recall either one or the other solved the problem:

- disabled and re-enabled the adapter device;

- uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter driver;

- looked at the motherboard support page to see if there was a new driver;

- checked the system for errors, e.g., sfc /scannow, etc.

Reaction score
I uninstalled the adapter device yesterday and restarted but not the Adapter Driver? I will do that now and get the 2009 update as well, thanks for the heads up fellas.

Ask a Question