Internet says its limited

Reaction score
I downloaded windows 10 the first day I was able to access the internet. Now it's saying its limited.I troubleshooted and it says it does not have valid IP configuration and in the wireless connection it says unidentified network. It says public network shouldn't it be on private? Need help straightening this out. Like I said it worked fine one day and now its says no interternt and limited. Sigh.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have the option to connect the computer with a Cat5 (or better) Ethernet cable?
Just to test and see if your have the same issue with a wired connection.

Reaction score
i suggest u check network settings..check if everything is configured properly with your router or the service that you are using...another thing that can happen is that your router isnt configured properly.u can reset your router.it may help you

Reaction score
Do you have the option to connect the computer with a Cat5 (or better) Ethernet cable?
Just to test and see if your have the same issue with a wired connection.
Somehow as I managed the wifi and had it forget it and reenter the wifi and after asking about it on the forum, it started working go figure. It was on public now its on private don't know what i actually did but its working.Thank you

Reaction score
Says limited again today. Doesn't have valid IP address. Tried doing what I thought I did to get it working again no luck. Worked fine for some reason last night. The WiFi works fine on my phone and before I switched to windows 10 and worked when I switched to wdo10 untill I turned off computer and tried to open internet the next day.

Reaction score
Me too! I was given a MS Surface Pro with 8.1. I had to do a factory restore. Then went to Win 10. do not know if net worked on 8.1 but suspect it did. All works OK except the wifi keeps going on, then off- abt every 5-10 seconds. I tried all the troubleshooting, and most of the suggestions here to no avail. Also get the no valid IP address message when not on. Can’t do many things -e.g checking for updates, new drivers, going back to 8.1 since my connection is so intermittent. I have other computers but not sure how or what to download & put on USP drive to use on the Surface. What is a usp doodle? & would that work for me. The network adapter is a Marvell AVASTAR- wireless controller. I do not have a Ethernet port on the Surface. All other computers work fine on this same router and network

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't mention which surface pro you have, so I suggest you check and confirm that you are using the latest firmware update for yours.
I beleive the surface pro 3 just got another one a few days back.
Additionally you may want to investigate all power options settings for the device.
Device manager properties for the WiFi adapter, power management tab. Uncheck the allow computer to turn off, blah blah, box.
Also advance power options for the power plan you are using in control panel, anything related to Wireless,
Power saving mode = Max
Sleep, allow wake timers = disable
USB, selective suspend setting = disable
PCI Express Link State Power Management = Off

See if any of that might have any impact on the problem.
Since it works, albeit briefly that would probably suggest that at least the drivers are functioning, so additionally you might want to
1. Test it in multiple environments if possible, somewhere other than your home network.
2. Play around with your security settings on your wireless router. Windows 10 seems to be a little finicky at times regarding WPA2 settings, when it comes to TKIP versus AES, try switching from one to the other.

Reaction score
Says limited again today. Doesn't have valid IP address. Tried doing what I thought I did to get it working again no luck. Worked fine for some reason last night. The WiFi works fine on my phone and before I switched to windows 10 and worked when I switched to wdo10 untill I turned off computer and tried to open internet the next day.

Reaction score
The internet is working again. I have been just shutting down computer when I'm done with it. This time I decided to choose the restart then it started installing updates,windows 7 used to do this when shut down, so far so good.

Reaction score
The label says it is a Surface 8 Pro
I did the best I could on the power settings for network
I did find two things: The selection for home or business net was on business - I changed that- no difference. One thing- I see when it goes off-line the Guest Public connection goes connected & private goes off. When net comes back on these reverse.?
I tried playing with the WPA2 connections but my cognitive skills being limited (i'm 87) I not sure what I did & I worry abt. getting settings all messed up.
So far you have been able to give me more information than I have been able to find. Thank you

Reaction score
You don't mention which surface pro you have, so I suggest you check and confirm that you are using the latest firmware update for yours.
I beleive the surface pro 3 just got another one a few days back.
Additionally you may want to investigate all power options settings for the device.
Device manager properties for the WiFi adapter, power management tab. Uncheck the allow computer to turn off, blah blah, box.
Also advance power options for the power plan you are using in control panel, anything related to Wireless,
Power saving mode = Max
Sleep, allow wake timers = disable
USB, selective suspend setting = disable
PCI Express Link State Power Management = Off

See if any of that might have any impact on the problem.
Since it works, albeit briefly that would probably suggest that at least the drivers are functioning, so additionally you might want to
1. Test it in multiple environments if possible, somewhere other than your home network.
2. Play around with your security settings on your wireless router. Windows 10 seems to be a little finicky at times regarding WPA2 settings, when it comes to TKIP versus AES, try switching from one to the other.

I did the best I could on the power settings for network
I did find two things: The selection for home or business net was on business - I changed that- no difference. One thing- I see when it goes off-line the Guest Public connection goes connected & private goes off. When net comes back on these reverse.?
I tried playing with the WPA2 connections but my cognitive skills being limited (i'm 87) I not sure what I did & I worry abt. getting settings all messed up.
So far you have been able to give me more information than I have been able to find. Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was given a MS Surface Pro with 8.1. I had to do a factory restore.
As much as I hate to suggest it, perhaps.....
Sticking with Windows 8.1 might be the better choice.
Since they just started talking about the Surface 4, yesterday. I think we can be relatively certain that you don't own a Surface 8 (I suspect that, that is just the Operating System that it came with)
There are a ton of people out there (some of whom are very knowledgeable) that are having problems with Windows 10 on their Surface devices.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s_10&ContentTypeScope=#/Windows/windows_10//1

If the thing worked well with Windows 8 and or 8.1 and you didn't have a problem with the network and I assume you didn't since you apparently downloaded and installed 10 on it......
My suggestion would be to adopt a wait and see attitude and at some point, perhaps early next spring they will have sorted out some if not most of the current buggy behavior, at least one would hope so, especially with their own BRANDED devices.

Reaction score
As much as I hate to suggest it, perhaps.....
Sticking with Windows 8.1 might be the better choice.

Since they just started talking about the Surface 4, yesterday. I think we can be relatively certain that you don't own a Surface 8 (I suspect that, that is just the Operating System that it came with)
There are a ton of people out there (some of whom are very knowledgeable) that are having problems with Windows 10 on their Surface devices.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s_10&ContentTypeScope=#/Windows/windows_10//1

If the thing worked well with Windows 8 and or 8.1 and you didn't have a problem with the network and I assume you didn't since you apparently downloaded and installed 10 on it......
My suggestion would be to adopt a wait and see attitude and at some point, perhaps early next spring they will have sorted out some if not most of the current buggy behavior, at least one would hope so, especially with their own BRANDED devices.

I see MS does list a Surface 8 Pro & that is what the label states. Perhaps it's an older unit- I was confused by the label also. I agree that going back to 8.1 is the way but since I don't have a reliable connection how can I get it back. Or is it on my machine? Could I download to a USP drive on another computer. Bewildered> Thanks, Joe

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should be an option (if you are still inside the 30 day limit) to roll back to your previous OS.
Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery
The option should be there

Reaction score
Should be an option (if you are still inside the 30 day limit) to roll back to your previous OS.
Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery
The option should be there
OK Trouble - I got it back to 8.1 & it seems to stay online however I must reset it everytime i use the Surface - no big problem- at least I can use the net. Thanks so much - if u ever see a fix for the basic problem I would appreciate hearing since I do like Win 10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK..... good to hear that you have made some progress (although maybe regress is actually the proper word for it).
Make sure that you are using Windows Updates in Control Panel to keep the current Operating System up to date.
Since the Surface is ostensibly a Microsoft device I would suspect that any drivers for your integrated WiFi adapter would also come by way of Windows Updates.
I can not understand why you "must reset it" everytime unless as I've already said above that your Power Management settings are turning the device off to save power, so....
Be sure to check Device Manager, the power management tab of the properties page for your WiFi adapter and make sure that, that is unchecked, as well as power option in Control Panel Maximum Performance for the Wireless device.

Ask a Question