IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (HOW ORIGINAL!)

Reaction score
Hello folks, can anyone help? I've got minimal and usually dangerous knowledge so please keep any answers VERY simple...! :)

I'm getting the BSOD with the IRQL message about once a week. I THINK it usually happens when I'm clicking on a url (i.e. perusing various stories on the BBC News website). I DON'T think it's ever happened without my having just clicked something (i.e. randomly without any human intervention on the PC). This may be totally irrelevant and prove to you just how ignorant I am!

Looking at a few posts, I see that people want to see the MEMORY.DMP file. I found mine in c:\windows so I hope it's the right one (the time stamp looks about right), and then accessed it with WinDbg (File->"Open Crash Dump..."). I then created the attached file with Edit->"Write Window to Text File".

Following my previous crash, about a week ago, I went through the Device Manager and manually updated every driver I could find (i.e. double clicking every device through to "Update Driver..." -> search automatically).

Any clear, simply explained, help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks...

Attachments

• DUMP.TXT
    10.1 KB · Views: 699

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From the information you've provided, it looks to me that
vfilter.sys which appears to be a driver associated with Shrew software VPN client
Is causing some problems for your network stack.
My suggestion would be to either update it or uninstall it and then check
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
and make sure that it is gone.
IF not, rename it to vfilter.OLD

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. Can't remember why I had this software so uninstalled it. The vfilter.sys was still there when I looked so took your advice and renamed it to vfilter.OLD. I'll see how things go and if I don't see any more BSOD's for a couple of weeks, I'll come back to report this fixed. Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question