SOLVED Is this program necessary?

Reaction score
I have seen many Microsoft Visual C++ programs in Programs and Features page. Do this programs have any bearing in function of Window 10. Because I am not using this programs.

1.png

Reaction score
Hi fiatnm,

the only one in that list you can safely remove is OneDrive, as @Bif points out, the rest would be needed for certain system functions and shouldn't be removed if you don't want problems with runtime functionality!. :)

Reaction score
Wolfie's answer is not totally correct.

If you install a fresh new W10 on an empty machine you will see none of those C++ redistributable package.

If install SQL server I am pretty sure you will get one or two of them and the ODBC driver may add another.

There are many Windows apps out there of different ages over the last 10-15 years that need one of those packages, some need specific versions, some need 32 bit ( x86) and some need 64 bit X64.

If you load some year of Visual Studio you will end up with some of these, update VS each year and you will get some more.

So I don't think W10 HOME needs any of these ITSELF. But don't delete them. If they annoy you then do a total clean re-install and they will be gone.

MY Insider machine ( Windows + Office) has none
My main machine with W10, Office and several apps has 10 of them but none are in memory or being used.

Reaction score
Wolfie's answer is not totally correct.

If you install a fresh new W10 on an empty machine you will see none of those C++ redistributable package.

If install SQL server I am pretty sure you will get one or two of them and the ODBC driver may add another.

There are many Windows apps out there of different ages over the last 10-15 years that need one of those packages, some need specific versions, some need 32 bit ( x86) and some need 64 bit X64.

If you load some year of Visual Studio you will end up with some of these, update VS each year and you will get some more.

So I don't think W10 HOME needs any of these ITSELF. But don't delete them. If they annoy you then do a total clean re-install and they will be gone.

MY Insider machine ( Windows + Office) has none
My main machine with W10, Office and several apps has 10 of them but none are in memory or being used.

Thanks. It is confusing. Recently I got installed W10 HOME in another SU but it is having 14 of this kind of files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like someone was taking classes in some light programing involving relational databases.
SQL Server as well as MS Access are both database programs and ODBC is Microsoft's own Open standard for Database Connectivity.
All those instances C++ are likely also related to the installation of other programs needing those particular programs to support them running.
@Tim Locke is quite right a custom clean install of Windows 10 (Pro or Home) would not include any of those (except perhaps OneDrive, so are you doing any development work on applications, UWP Apps or Web Development?
Have you installed any SDKs?
Recently I got installed W10 HOME in another SU but it is having 14 of this kind of files.
Not sure what an "SU" is but below is an image of a recent clean install of Windows 10 Pro in a Hyper-V VM (Virtual Machine) and there are only two programs installed

Capture.PNG

Also not sure why or what your concern might be. Totally those programs do not represent a huge amount of space, however some might be running services that might be claiming some system resources.
Just know that uninstalling any of them will result in the particular program not running and any related program dependent on them will fail to function properly.

Reaction score
Looks like someone was taking classes in some light programing involving relational databases.
SQL Server as well as MS Access are both database programs and ODBC is Microsoft's own Open standard for Database Connectivity.
All those instances C++ are likely also related to the installation of other programs needing those particular programs to support them running.
@Tim Locke is quite right a custom clean install of Windows 10 (Pro or Home) would not include any of those (except perhaps OneDrive, so are you doing any development work on applications, UWP Apps or Web Development?
Have you installed any SDKs?

Not sure what an "SU" is but below is an image of a recent clean install of Windows 10 Pro in a Hyper-V VM (Virtual Machine) and there are only two programs installed

View attachment 7173

Also not sure why or what your concern might be. Totally those programs do not represent a huge amount of space, however some might be running services that might be claiming some system resources.
Just know that uninstalling any of them will result in the particular program not running and any related program dependent on them will fail to function properly.

SU means System Unit. I know this word is not commonly used.

1.png

Recently I downloaded Microsoft Office 2013 from a company. I am unable to install that software. It is saying to uninstall other MS office software. I do have any MS office in the system but there are other MS software in my system that is why I want to find out, is there any harm of uninstalling this software.

Activation.png

2.png

Reaction score
I have seen this one with Office. Going from Office 2015 to Office 2016. IIRC after removing Office from a system there is a procedure, I forget where I found it but a Google search worked, that finished the removal cleanly. Using Control panel to remove some versions of Office does not do a complete job.

Reaction score
Thanks. According to your advice computer is in confused state. Because it was purchased in Dell and it came with demo Office 2016. I uninstalled that to install Office 2013. Now it is giving trouble. So that to get hard drive reformatted is seems better option.

Reaction score
If you do that, going all the way to a complete install from nothing except the Microsoft Install media.
Then NOT loading McAfee and after the install, a couple of real shutdown-> power up boots ( not just restarts) . I have found that W10 is improved by this as I suspect that it isn't quite ready after the install has finished. Also, Windows Defender system works at least as well as McAfee and sucks up far less performance.

Then load your preferred version of Office I bet that the PC will then be faster and more reliable.

Just a thought. Was this machine new or purchased second hand from a company? I ask because there was a post about failed activation of Windows in that case.
https://www.windows10forums.com/search/32306523/?q=KMS+licence&o=date

Reaction score
Thanks. I do not know whether Dell sells refurbished computers. This is a new one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IN addition you may want to consider your source for the Microsoft Office program.
That image you posted, the pricing looks to be a bit suspicious so double check and confirm the legitimacy of their offerings.

Reaction score
Thanks. I do not know whether Dell sells refurbished computers. This is a new one.

I meant second hand from a company who bought Dell computers for their internal use.

Refurb from Dell itself I am sure would be fine.

Reaction score
IN addition you may want to consider your source for the Microsoft Office program.
That image you posted, the pricing looks to be a bit suspicious so double check and confirm the legitimacy of their offerings.

You are asking me to check with MS Company.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am suggesting that you perform some due diligence in order to confirm that you are not spending money on a software product from a resource that is not legitimate.
There are multiple online source who sell software at considerable discounts and many are not legitimate. Which may result in activation issues as these may require a crack to circumvent normal activation process.
Typically you would make a purchase of Microsoft Office from the Microsoft Store
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...fficeNew-_linknav-homeorpersonal-051717-en_US
AND the pricing there does not seem to match the image that you posted.

I wouldn't want to see you victimized by a resource that was selling pirated versions of software.

Reaction score
Thanks. First I searched in Microsoft Official website I was unable to find any sale and older versions. After that only I went to this website. After your advice I am going to check with MS company.

Reaction score
I have seen this one with Office. Going from Office 2015 to Office 2016. IIRC after removing Office from a system there is a procedure, I forget where I found it but a Google search worked, that finished the removal cleanly. Using Control panel to remove some versions of Office does not do a complete job.

According to your advice I got hard drive reformatted now it is working. Thank you very much for your help.

Ask a Question