SOLVED ISO 2 USB

Reaction score
OK, so sometimes even when you been doin things long enough you think you know it all, smirk.. well I ran into a weird situation I'm not figuring out.

I D/Led a copy of W7 pro x64 ISO, want to see if I can upgrade a friends laptop from Vista (x64), ran Rufus, but it keeps giving me error, I know the program is OK, and the file is OK, I D/Led it 2 times to make sure. I than tried it on 2 computers, and 2 different USB's, and even several other ISO to USB type programs, nothing would work. Strange cause i used Rufus not too long ago .

One thing about this ISO I seen that might have some bearing, is the name it adds for the ISO on the USB just prior to trying to burn has a -DVD at the ending, its just on the name of the USB not the ISO file so I don't see why that would hae any bearing, but who knows.

So my question is has anybody run into something like this? and if so is there a solution?

At the moment I don't have anu CD or DVD's to try that route.

Regedit32

Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind, but may not be relevant yet given your opening comments:
  1. To install you'll need to purchase a legal copy of a Product key
  2. Are you upgrading from a OEM Vista Professional x64 or something else. You'll need an equivalent Windows 7 ISO unless you are planning on reformatting the friends computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
but it keeps giving me error
What might that "error" be?
At what point in the process does it happen?
I guess we can assume that a vista laptop is probably mbr / legacy rather than gpt / UEFI so when you point rufus at the ISO are the top two boxes reflecting that?

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind, but may not be relevant yet given your opening comments:
  1. To install you'll need to purchase a legal copy of a Product key
  2. Are you upgrading from a OEM Vista Professional x64 or something else. You'll need an equivalent Windows 7 ISO unless you are planning on reformatting the friends computer.

those don't mean much since I can't even get the ISO burned to even install, with or without a key... I need to find the reason I can't get Rufus to work on either machine.

Also I'm not upgrading per say, it would be a clean install, so the X64/x86 doesn't matter as long as the cpu is capable of a 64bit OS, which it is, I installed the Vista x64 bit OS on it that had the x86 at first. The same key that installed the 32bit OS worked to install the 64bit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What might that "error" be?
At what point in the process does it happen?
I guess we can assume that a vista laptop is probably mbr / legacy rather than gpt / UEFI so when you point rufus at the ISO are the top two boxes reflecting that?

View attachment 4190

Have gone through that several times, on both my W10 x64 machine, and trying it on the Vista x86 machine. Tried to even change the format from NTFS to fat32.

There is no error number to speak of, it just starts out and goes a bit till it just stops and turns red, than says it didn't work. If I find the time I may try it again and take a screen shot. its got me stumped. I'm waiting for my buddy to find me a DVD, to try that route and see.

I'm not sure about the UEFI, should it be run on the maqchine that will be used to install W7? or does it matter if I try to burn it on my W10 machine? Seems the ISO should pick up what info it needs auto, it does change to NTFS on both machines btw.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OH......
So it is "Rufus" that is producing an error / problem / issue.
I thought it was sometime during the installation using the media that Rufus produced.
Try rebooting your computer and then try it again.
I'm not sure what it is, but I've had Rufus hang a few times after one of the cumulative updates a while back and a couple times subsequently.
There is a process that seems to be getting in the way and I haven't taken the time to sort through it to determine what it might be.
Give a reboot a try and see if Rufus works after that, IF not try downloading another copy of Rufus and see if that makes any difference.

Reaction score
Image1.gif
Image2.gif

first one is starting, 2nd is the result, this is the same on either machine.

Reaction score
OH......
So it is "Rufus" that is producing an error / problem / issue.
I thought it was sometime during the installation using the media that Rufus produced.
Try rebooting your computer and then try it again.
I'm not sure what it is, but I've had Rufus hang a few times after one of the cumulative updates a while back and a couple times subsequently.
There is a process that seems to be getting in the way and I haven't taken the time to sort through it to determine what it might be.
Give a reboot a try and see if Rufus works after that, IF not try downloading another copy of Rufus and see if that makes any difference.

well just tried the reboot thing, that didn't work either :)..... lol,..... I dono, I think maybe I will try the 3rd D/L from another site and see , who knows maybe both ISO's are corrupt, yet Rufus scans the file just prior to attempting to burn and doesn't complain about it., we'll see, its just a hair I got up my nose at this point, I really don't need to be doing it, but I got myself into it now :) am gona find the reason yet :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just tested the version of Rufus you are using on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ISO I have stored locally on my PC

View attachment 4194

Seems to have worked without error, so.....
It's almost got to be the ISO file that you are using

You may want to give this little tool a try and see if it might provide a better ISO file
https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

See if that makes any difference.

:) lol that's the tool I been usin :) twice now... have another site I'm gona get it from tonight, let ya know

Reaction score
You can mount and read the .iso?

If you want to use Diskpart to prepare the flash drive, let us know.

I don't suppose the situation with Disk Management not being able to set a partition as active is involved. Since Trouble's worked it must be something else.

Reaction score
OK my friends , looks like the ISO I pulled down last night from another site worked :), (see completed pic) soooo this windows tool must be D/Ling bad ISO's, cause I got the file 2 times just to check that.

Had that not worked I would have tried the linkl Trouble sent me, as a last attempt.

Thanks for the responses from those that posted, sometimes even us "know it all's" find that simple things smack us upside the head lolol. I had a feeling that it was the file itself since it would act the same on either machine, I just wasn't sure since after all it came from a "windows Tool" so how could it be a corrupt file, smirk.....

So I will mark it as solved, and hope it helps some other person to realize that even D/Ling a file a couple times may still end up with a bad file.

Image1.gif

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up info.
I tried the ISO download tool myself, just to see if I got a corrupt ISO for the file you had used (Windows 7 Pro English 64 bit ISO).
Everything seems to have gone as expected.

Capture.PNG

Not sure how to account for the issues that you encountered.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up info.
I tried the ISO download tool myself, just to see if I got a corrupt ISO for the file you had used (Windows 7 Pro English 64 bit ISO).
Everything seems to have gone as expected.

View attachment 4198

Not sure how to account for the issues that you encountered.

I saw where some others had the same problem using that tool on another site, who knows, maybe MS fixed the D/L now. Anyway all's well that ends well :)

Ask a Question