I've forgotten my administrator password.

ctv

Reaction score
I need to either re-set the password for my administrator login, or, create a new administrator login. But, how can I do either without the ability to authorise it??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have a second account on the computer?
IF so does that account have admin rights?
Are you connected to the internet and are you using a Live ID (Microsoft Account) to login to the computer, or a local user account?

ctv

Reaction score
Do you have a second account on the computer?
IF so does that account have admin rights?
Are you connected to the internet and are you using a Live ID (Microsoft Account) to login to the computer, or a local user account?

I have a second account but it does not have admin rights. I am connected to the internet and using a local user account to login to the computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So...... without a password that will pass admin muster, you can't even launch an Elevated Command Prompt??
Right click the Start Button, choose Command Prompt (Admin)...... I'm guessing that's a no go.
So.....
There is, although somewhat involved, a method of enabling the hidden administrator's account using a registry hack.
I posted about it here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/keeps-saying-incorrect-password.1185/#post-12550
Read the post carefully and then read the article describing the method that I linked to in that post..... Remember the one caveat I pointed out in my post.
As I say in that post..... I know it works, it just takes a bit of effort.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately the first link will not boot newer computers with UEFI / GPT configurations, and.....
The second link requires that you purchase the Enterprise Edition (which I own) for the same reason.
PCUnlocker is an excellent piece of software if you spend the money and purchase the Enterprise Edition.
Both will work on legacy computers with standard BIOS and MBR disks. PCUnlocker is a commercial product and the trial version will not do much except show you your available options and prompt you to purchase the product.

Ask a Question