Laptop does not sleep when idle

Reaction score
My lenovo 910 yoga laptop does not sleep when idle. I set both screen to turn off and computer to go to sleep after 5 minutes of idle time.
The screen turns off but the laptop does not enter sleep mode.

Looks like this audio stream might be preventing it from going to sleep-
powercfg -requests
SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) (INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0299&SUBSYS_17AA3801&REV_1000\4&13ab7ca7&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

I tried powercfg -requestsoverride for this driver using name and id as suggested on the web but that did not help.
I also reset my windows 10. This audio stream is still there on fresh install. I don't have any accessories connected to the laptop.
winver : version 1809 OS Build: 17763.379
Realtek driver 6.0.1.8108 3/31/2017

What else can I check/change to get this working.

Reaction score
I solved this issue by disabling microphone in settings. Now powercfg -requests does not show anything and the laptop sleeps as expected when idle.
Anyone knows how to find out which process/app is using the microphone?

Reaction score
A couple of questions, do you know if that system is Modern Standby capable and does it make any difference if it is plugged in or not?

There is an option on the Cortana settings to keep the system from sleeping if plugged in.

If you aren't sure if it is Modern Standby, use the powercfg /a command and include the results when you post back.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might have a look here Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone
See if you spot anything there that might be the culprit.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
A couple of questions, do you know if that system is Modern Standby capable and does it make any difference if it is plugged in or not?

There is an option on the Cortana settings to keep the system from sleeping if plugged in.

If you aren't sure if it is Modern Standby, use the powercfg /a command and include the results when you post back.

It does not make a difference whether it's plugged in or not.

powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Reaction score
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)
The above listing shows your system is not a Modern Standby type system.

The only thing I can think of is to leave the microphone on and see what might be using processor cycles which might be related to the sound. It is probably the Audiodg.exe which gives some folks problems with using high Processor resources.

If you find some specific process, you might open the Resource Monitor and check the box for that process so you can check in the lower windows what it might be doing.

Your Realtek driver seems to be a little old, but maybe that is what your system requires. If you were using something which needed to hear you, such as Skype or some gaming software, it could be involved. Right now, my gaming desktop shows a USB Audio device, which is my external webcam, with a stream in use but it isn't currently plugged in. As far as I know, this system is sleeping normally but I will check sometime today.

Edit: I just turned on Cortana being able to respond and now my laptop powercfg /requests shows the same type device as you. I will check one of my other system which is not modern standby and see if it keeps it awake.

Last edited:

Ask a Question