Latest update reset my default apps

Reaction score
well another update and another redo. right after this last update tonight I clicked on one of my programs that goes on line, when I did it opened Edge, say what, I have FF set as my default browser, OK, so checked the default apps settings and yup, they were all "reset" to windows default apps.

Ok, just re set them, hmmm...... well, when I tried that the whole settings box just closes, it did this every time I tried to re set my default app.

Anyway I found another way to do it and have it all back to normal.

Wonder if anybody else found this to be the case or if their update left all their default apps as set.

Reaction score
As seems to be always on my machines, Edge was reinstated as the default. None of the usual tricks seem to work anymore.
I like edge, but do not want it as my default. To my loss, I may have to hack in and disable it totally.

Bif

Reaction score
The two prior build changes (updates) changed some of my defualts like PDF viewer, browser, media player etc...for whatever reason.No Biggie to change back..
Yesterday's changed nothing... that I've noticed yet anyways.

Reaction score
Yes. I found it, using the usual procedures, easier enough to change my default back to IE: The problem, though, this time, is that it doesn't stay there for long

Reaction score
Today's post cumulative updates dilemma.
Updated 2 PC's, PC 1 my main daily user updated fine, no apparent Issues.
PC 2 Updated the two cumulative updates successfully using local Admin account.
After the updates I created a new post update system recovery point.
Shut the machine down, signed out and shut down. This morning when I turned the machine (PC 2) on there is only one account, that is, the Local (works fine) Admin account, my local account has disappeared.
I can open the "user" account by signing into my the local Admin account > users "Norton" all the file are as left and I can open the folders.
I need some expert guidance before I start randomly changing settings, which I don't like doing.
What I've done today:
1.Performed a system restore to the only restore point "Windows Update-Critical Update, all other Restore points were wiped. The new Restore point "Failed"
2. Performed a "Restart"
Unfortunately I'm currently in a stall and looking for assistance.
Dell Optiplex Desktop, Win 10 Pro; 1709.16299.125
3. Opened Task Manager "switch user" no luck.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
What do you get if you open settings - accounts, - Your info, and select "Sign in with a local account instead"
It may already have your details, or offer you to set up a local account.. It may say something like " You can use a local account on this PC". Stop there, because it then asks you to sign out.
Go down to family and other people. Perhaps you can recreate your old account there.?
If it were me, I would look in the image under users, and copy the whole of the missing local account over. But I would not suggest, unless, from there you know how to recreate, as mentioned.

Reaction score
Dave Thanks for your help. I was thinking of creating another local account and moving my files over to the new account. However, I just signed into my main PC 1, went to accounts and it was requesting that I verify my MS account, I verified as requested. I will go back to the problematic PC 2 and follow your opening suggestion, the problem I'm experiencing (no local user account) on PC 2 could also be an account verification. I have one MS account on 3 PC's.
I'll be sure to post back my findings.

Reaction score
Findings: The local user profile must have been corrupted with the update.
I checked Settings>Accounts and there was no user account listed, just the Local Admin acct. Checked Ctrl Pnl>Users Accts. same thing, No Local User acct. Using the Admin acct. I could see all of the User files C:Users>Norton. I didn't want to (time consuming) create another User profile as PC 2 is my working spare. I simply copied all my data files to a flash drive and deleted the user. Then copied my data files back to the admin acct. A user acct cab be easily created should the PC become my daily user.

Reaction score
I find it strange that 2 identical PC's in every way receive updates differently. One machine (daily user) worked flawlessly after this weeks updates and the other machine had major problems.o_O

Ask a Question