Left Click on mouse won't open folders

Reaction score
Now, if I choose that option, I WILL loose ALL of my programs. I will keep my files and setting, but because of all of the trouble I had installing 10, I do not want to go through weeks of figuring out what I had and re-installing everything again. I wold install 10 over itself before I would entertain that idea.

I see your point.
Decision is yours.

Slightly off topic:
It has been my habit that every time I install a program I use the Save As option and save the install exe to my external hard drive for safe keeping.
It had been helpful for me when I had to do a Clean install and kept nothing.
I can go to external hard drive, find the download list, click at the exe file and start reinstalling.
Yes, I still have to reinstall, but I have a list to go by. I don't have to go to the websites for the programs.

Reaction score
Got it from your first post
Oh, oh well, I have no idea why I would mention something like that, BUT...I am so used to talking to doctors (and I guess everyone else) that my medical issues are just normal conversation for me. Usually happens when you get old, but for me it happened early since I retired at 34 for medical reasons...that being one. Oh well...

Reaction score
I see your point.
Decision is yours.

Slightly off topic:
It has been my habit that every time I install a program I use the Save As option and save the install exe to my external hard drive for safe keeping.
It had been helpful for me when I had to do a Clean install and kept nothing.
I can go to external hard drive, find the download list, click at the exe file and start reinstalling.
Yes, I still have to reinstall, but I have a list to go by. I don't have to go to the websites for the programs.

Yeah, this whole things could have been done in a better manner. Frankly, I think that Microsoft should have delayed the public release until they got allot more feedback from the Development copies and even those people who were chosen to test it out prior to the release. There still would have been bugs, but not so may and not so strange. Well, I am in it for the long haul, so I guess since I do have a work-around with the Right click and open option, it could be worse. It just seems funny that virtually every time they put out an update, it causes problems.

As far as keeping the exe file, I creates an iso disk to re-install. I have actually used it twice to correct problems, but it is still basically a full day job because of all of the updates that come during and after the initial install. I wish they would come up with a newer release and provide that with the fixes already done, so people don't have to rely on the original and then take a million updates to get back to where they are...just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
I don't know exactly where you got that from, but I didn't kill myself to read all of the replies. GI= Gastroentestional. HTH

Sorry. I could see that this was the particular object with which you had the problem, but, reading your other posts, it is with several files/folders.

As you can open folders and files, albeit by using different mouse buttons, I would say that Trouble's post #14, regrading your mouse, maybe the clue. Have you tried looking at your setup under the control panel - mouse window? Could be the buttons have been transposed.

You state that you have frequently been applying registry changes. No chance, I guess, that you have made any registry backups?

Best bet, as you are unable to do a restore, is to open an administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry. I could see that this was the particular object with which you had the problem, but, reading your other posts, it is with several files/folders.

As you can open folders and files, albeit by using different mouse buttons, I would say that Trouble's post #14, regrading your mouse, maybe the clue. Have you tried looking at your setup under the control panel - mouse window? Could be the buttons have been transposed.

You state that you have frequently been applying registry changes. No chance, I guess, that you have made any registry backups?

Best bet, as you are unable to do a restore, is to open an administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow

Hi Dave...no problem. Last evening, I took the next to the last option and that was to re-install Windows 10 over itself with a iso disk and that corrected the issue with the folders. I still have issues with Microsoft apps/programs syncing, but that is another issue.

Take care and if I can find a fix to the other proble/s, I will post it as an "answer" so that others with similar issues, might benefit from my "experience"...LOL All the best, Steven

Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message:

View attachment 1338

I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never experienced this on any version of windows. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on my Dell XPS 8100 with an Intel i5 Processor at 3.20Mhz and 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD which is about 1/2 full/empty.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know as I have LOTS of security running and still something looks to have gotten through.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven
hi dont know if this will work for you just passing info on....i found that the mouse button tab in mouse settings was set to fast by default.
to sort this problem follow path....control panel>hardware and devices>mouse.This will open mouse settings.Under buttons tab you will see a slide control next to a folder icon to test set speed of opening folders.If you click on this test window folder icon you will find it wont open.You need to set the slide control halfway then click test icon and it will open.Close and go back to desktop.You will now find that folders will open with a double left click.This problem happend to me when i upgraded to Windows10,I dont know why the setting is like this,but the above suggestion worked for me.You may have resolved this by now due to the posting date of your question cos im now in Dec 2015,but it may help in future
Take care
Don:)

Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message:

View attachment 1338

I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never experienced this on any version of windows. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on my Dell XPS 8100 with an Intel i5 Processor at 3.20Mhz and 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD which is about 1/2 full/empty.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know as I have LOTS of security running and still something looks to have gotten through.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven

The same thing happens to me and it was a Windows Critical Update that did it as I was able to restore twice to solve the issue before the update but for some reason those restore points have now disappeared.

What I have noticed is that when you right click on the folders in the main pane before that update you had "Open" as the default and after the update it now has "Explore" as default with the Open option below it. It seems that it's the Explore that causes the error in the main pane ..

So the real questions here are how do you change the default option to Open folders in the main pane rather than Explore. The other question is why the hell would MS do this? But hopefully there is an answer to the first as I suspect there isn' one for the second ;-)

Ask a Question