SOLVED "Life at a Glance buttons" don't work

Reaction score
I upgraded from Windows 7. All went smoothly. But perhaps my virus checker was a bit suspicious (I don't know), and now my Start Up buttons no longer work (ie life at a glance buttons): weather, news, solitaire etc Seeking advice. Also I have been unsuccessful in finding a simple way to "system restore" which was so easy in previous Windows.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
now my Start Up buttons no longer work (ie life at a glance buttons): weather, news, solitaire etc
You need to catch up all your Windows Updates as well as several Store updates, including one for the Store itself.
Depending on what works and what doesn't windows updates can be found by clicking the start button and choosing settings and using the Update & Security icon from there.
Store updates may be more difficult as it requires actually having a working "Store" tile in your Start Menu Tiles area.

You may try running the native System File Checker and see if that produces any information of any value.
Right click the Start Button and choose
Command Prompt (Admin) and type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and wait for it to finish.

Reaction score
I thank you for your suggestions. I had already caught up on updates. I followed your sfc/scannow suggestion and received the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was not able to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is current unsupported in offline servicing scenarios.

...none of which I understand :)

...and alas, on rebooting, it didn't work

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
From another admin command prompt try this
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
hit enter
wait for it to finish
hopefully it will complete without error.
If so reboot and try to run
sfc /scannow
again

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OH.... and I neglected your other question regarding "System Restore"
Typically I just
right click the start button and choose "System" from the x menu
Then I use the "System protection" link on the left of the resultant window to open "System Restore".

Reaction score
alas: (a) DISM doesn't recognize the command-line option 'health'
(b) the restore button is inactive/unresponsive
...thanks for your efforts !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry there is no space between restore and health. Should be /restorehealth
My apologizes

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That error is usually the result of some syntax problem. Missing spaces, added spaces, etc.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Maybe give it one more try. Copy and paste if that is helpful

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks and sorry we couldn't seem to get your issue resolved.
I'm actually glad you were able to get back to Windows 7, as a lot of people have experienced a great deal of difficulty in doing even that.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score
I am grateful for your efforts. No damage done...and yes, initially the Return to Windows 7 button was unresponsive. And then it was. I didn't do anything special, except keep pushing and sighing :)

Ask a Question