Mail App Won't Send

Reaction score
I've been trying to get the onboard Windows 10 app, Mail to work. I've managed to get emails to arrive but sending isn't working. I get a banner in the app saying that I should update the password or give the app permission to sync with this device (my laptop).

What I've done:
  • Checked with my ISP for the correct settings (incoming and outgoing servers, ports, SSL, etc.);
  • Checked in my settings on the laptop for sync settings to the app;
  • Made the assumption that my password is correct as, after all, email is being received.
  • Deleted and re-loaded the email account in Mail.
I have automatic updates for my Windows 10 OS.

Any suggestions as to a way forward would be great!

Reaction score
...an update. I've had no new incoming email today on my Mail account. My desktop PC Outlook account shows that I have had email so my Mail account is not receiving!

Reaction score
Forst thing to try s the straightforward corection:

!. Try deleting your account and re-establishing it
2. Go to settings - Aps and features -
Scroll down to Mail and calendar. Select Advanced options.
Scroll right down to reset.

Reaction score
I suspect the account requires an app specific password. Which account is affected - Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL etc?
Have you checked the webmail version of the account to see if there’s new mail?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Dave, I tried your suggestion and reset the Mail app. I then added my account again, putting in the settings from my ISP using the advanced option in Mail. The account appeared in Mail but when I sent a test message from my phone, nothing appeared in my Mail inbox but there was a warning triangle that repeated the warning I put in my original post. I put the password in that I use to access my ISP's webmail but to no avail.

Bastet, the account that I have is none of the ones on the list. I select IMAP4 when putting in my settings for a Mail account.

Webmail is arriving OK.

How would I put in an app-specific password, please?

Reaction score
What’s your ISP?
You would log on to your account & there should be a security option, it’ll most likely be under there.
Once created you would enter the app specific password in the password box within the account under the Mail app.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your reply.

My ISP is Plusnet.

I opened up my webmail and looked for a security option but I couldn't see one, unfortunately.

In the Mail app there is an option "email security" but selecting this gives an error message "This setting can't be applied to any of your accounts". Also, when adding an account in Mail, there is an option to put in a password and I have tried both the Plusnet password that gets me into my webmail and a letterbox specific one but neither give me a working app that I can send and receive from.

It's very frustrating!

Reaction score
I don't use mail, but am a little familiar with it. I do have it set up to my regular outlook account though.
But, looking through the posts again, "putting in the settings from my ISP using the advanced option in Mail."
What were those "advanced" options? I cannot see any in Mail.

Reaction score
Thanks for your message.

I access the advanced setup in Mail via:

Settings>Manage Accounts>Add account>Advanced.

This allows me to input to the following fields:

Email address
User name
Password
Account name
Send your message using this name
Incoming email server
Account type (POP3 or IMAP4)
Outgoing (SMPT) server
...then there are four checkboxes:
Outgoing server requires authentication
Use the same name and password for sending mail
Requires SSL for incoming email
Requires SSL for outgoing email.

I populate these fields using the settings provided by my ISP.

i hope that this helps.

Reaction score
So, if you needed to "Add an account" I assume you are logged in initially with a Microsoft account?
If so, I think that is the one that you should setup in mail.
You can then add an account in the mail settings.

Reaction score
Sorry, Dave but I am easily confused!

What I do is:

I type Mail into the search bar and Windows finds my Mail app, which I then open and in the app I follow the route Settings>Manage Accounts>Add account>Advanced. I don't log in to a Microsoft account as such.

Reaction score
As I said, Quote, "
logged in initially with a Microsoft account?
If so, I think that is the one that you should setup in mail.
Maybe, without a MS Account, you cannot use Mail.

But I'll browse around and see if that is so.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Dave, I tried your suggestion and reset the Mail app. I then added my account again, putting in the settings from my ISP using the advanced option in Mail. The account appeared in Mail but when I sent a test message from my phone, nothing appeared in my Mail inbox but there was a warning triangle that repeated the warning I put in my original post. I put the password in that I use to access my ISP's webmail but to no avail.

Bastet, the account that I have is none of the ones on the list. I select IMAP4 when putting in my settings for a Mail account.

Webmail is arriving OK.

How would I put in an app-specific password, please?

Ensure the account is set up thus:
Incoming server: imap.plus.net:993:1
Outgoing server: relay.plus.net:587:1
SSL yes/on

There’s no 2-step authentication settings from what I can see so for the moment please ignore that.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Bastet. I put all of those settings into Mail and unfortunately it did not spring into life. My ISP said no SSL was needed so I set up another account in Mail with these settings but still no joy.

Do you think that I would be best looking for another email client to run on my laptop?

Reaction score
I don't think that will work. There is a deeper lying fault somewhere.
But try this one. It is one of the easiest I know. It is free if you only need two accounts

But, you never responded. Why not, if not already, open an MS account and use the online Outlook. That is also pretty simple to setup.

Reaction score
I suspect the Mail app isn’t working.
Check to see what version of Windows you’re running. Check too for any updates to the Mail app via the MS store.
If you wish to try another Mail app then Thunderbird is a good replacement & appears similar to Windows Live Mail.
UK:
US:

Reaction score
Thanks again for your replies.
But, you never responded. Why not, if not already, open an MS account and use the online Outlook. That is also pretty simple to setup.
Sorry for not picking this one up Dave. I have a Microsoft account and I tried putting my settings into outlook.com but again I've not succeeded, unfortunately. I just get a message saying to check my server settings,

I suspect the Mail app isn’t working.
Check to see what version of Windows you’re running. Check too for any updates to the Mail app via the MS store.
If you wish to try another Mail app then Thunderbird is a good replacement & appears similar to Windows Live Mail.
UK:
I've got Windows version 21H1, build 19043.1110. I checked for Mail updates via the store but I got a message saying already installed so I'm guessing it's up to date.

In Mail, I get an error message about the wrong password but I've tried the one I use to access my PlusNet account and the one I use to access my individual mailbox on my desktop's Outlook app.

There is also an error message in Mail saying "to give the account permission to sync to this device". This, I don't really understand.

Reaction score
There doesn’t seem to be an answer for that error message.
Have you contacted Plusnet support?

Reaction score
I've tried Thunderbird and eM Client and I can't get them to download email from my ISP's webmail. So that's three email clients that run into problems. I've let my ISP know but I haven't had a response yet.

I don't think that will work. There is a deeper lying fault somewhere.

I think that you are right Dave!

Reaction score
As none of the email clients are working then the problem either lies with the settings or Plusnet.
Are you currently a Plusnet subscriber?

Ask a Question