Windows 10 Mail emails disappeared

Reaction score
I have a Comcast email address and suddenly, all my emails prior to the end of Nov 2020 have disappeared. I use windows 10 live mail app to check my email, and it also deleted them from the Comcast server. I can’t find how to access advanced settings to make sure there isn’t some kind of selection made to delete my emails. They aren’t in a deleted mail folder either. Comcast also can’t retrieve them for me. In Windows 7, I never had this happen and my emails from any time would be saved dating years back. It seems like it’s only saving 6 months worth of email.

Reaction score
I would check for any settings which hide older mails. As the mails are missing under webmail this is where you’d need to look for that.
Are you using Windows Mail app or Windows Live Mail as these are two separate programs?
If Live mail:

English translation:
it worked for me.
Close Windows Live Mail.
In the registry under
Computer \ HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows Live Mail
Create these 3 DWORD entries (were not available for me) or change to 1 if they exist
RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1
Restart Windows Live Mail. Then the message display goes back to normal for me and the 3 values in the registry are reset to 0. Can be left as it is.
For me, the account display in WLM with multiple accounts was corrupted after Windows Update 2004. That is also fixed.

Ask a Question