Mail App Won't Send

Reaction score
Yes, I've been with them for years. They have a helpline and I have run through the settings with them. I've had no reply from my recent update ticket to them telling them of the situation with regards to third-party email clients.

Reaction score
Are you signing in with your full email address ((e-mail address removed)) as your username or just the bit before the @ or just the ‘username’ part of the email address?
Are you on your Home network so are connected to Plusnet or away from home?
Is the account the main account or a sub account connected to the main account?

Check to see if your IP address is on a blocklist:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Bastet,

I sign in with the bit after the @ symbol, which is the username in your example above. Is it also known as the domain name or am I getting confused?

Thanks for the link. What a brilliant facility to check your IP. I guess it reads your IP when you click the link? I got green ticks right down the list so it looks like I'm in the clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It seems you should enter the full email address - (e-mail address removed)
That’s good as it means your address hasn’t been blocked.

Reaction score
I've tried my email in eMC in the login name (username?) prompt but to no avail. The app has diagnostics and a fix facility. I have tried a variety of settings in the app, including those from my ISP and the diagnostics test always shows a red cross for IMAP settings, whilst SMTP gets a green tick. So there is something going on with the incoming server settings.

My ISP has pretty much said that they've done their bit and webmail is working so there is nothing further they can offer.

I'm very frustrated by all of this as you can imagine! Any more suggestions would always be welcome!

Reaction score
Please post your incoming server settings.
If they match those I posted then are you running any third party antivirus software which may have email scanning feature?
What about any spam filtering software?

Reaction score
Sorry. Posted the wrong picture.

This is what I have set for my mail:
You could also try and work through this

Attachments

• 1628867388649.png
    1628867388649.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 57
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My incoming server settings are:

imap.plus.net;
Port 993;
STARTTLS: Yes;
SMTP authentication: No.

I just have Windows Defender and no additional spam filter software.

I have worked through "Setting up Windows 10 Mail" but it doesn't solve the issue, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Is there an option for SSL rather than STARTTLS?
If you turn on smtp authentication does this change anything? I take it not.
Are you using your full email address as the username?

Reaction score
The port number for imap is 993 - 995 is for pop. Or was 995 referring to something else?

Reaction score
See my picture. It is, there, for pop

But here it is outlined very clearly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bastet, thanks as ever for your messages. Please, don't think that I have ignored any of your replies. I'm grateful for all of your advice. Please, give me a bit of time to read and understand what's going on.

Reaction score
Is there an option for SSL rather than STARTTLS?
If you turn on smtp authentication does this change anything? I take it not.
Are you using your full email address as the username?
In my Windows 10 Mail client, I can turn SSL on/off but neither option gives me the breakthrough, unfortunately.

Reaction score
The Windows mail app is unusual in that port numbers are added to the server details - imap.yourisp.com:993:1
smtp.yourisp.com:465:1
If you’ve set the account up in this manner then are you sure there’s no server problems with the ISP? Perhaps they have some form of outage with their emails.

Reaction score
My ISP says that they do not support third-party email clients and they have done their bit providing webmail so I can get no more support from them. It looks like the end of the road with this one, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ask a Question