Mail in windows 10

Reaction score
Hi - I had problems with windows 10 un invited update slowing my lap top. took it to a PC repair shop where they re-installed windows 10. I was using windows live mail [i think] in Windows 7 and had filed many important emails in various folders. I also had a full contacts books. From the reinstall everything has gone - I have lost all my previous emails and my contacts. Any ideas gratefully received!!?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
took it to a PC repair shop where they re-installed windows 10
Depending on what they actually did and how they went about "re-installing" Windows 10, it's possible that all your previous data is no longer on your computer.
I would have expected that any reputable "PC repair shop" would have performed a data backup or even a disk image prior to doing any work, or at least asked you in advance if you wanted any such backup to be performed.
I was using windows live mail [i think]
Can you open a web browser and access your email, many email hosting services provide a web access function.
IF the account was yahoo, gmail, outlook.com, Hotmail.com, live.com etc., it's possible that you may discover that your email as well as your contacts are still available to you.

Reaction score
Depending on what they actually did and how they went about "re-installing" Windows 10, it's possible that all your previous data is no longer on your computer.
I would have expected that any reputable "PC repair shop" would have performed a data backup or even a disk image prior to doing any work, or at least asked you in advance if you wanted any such backup to be performed.

Can you open a web browser and access your email, many email hosting services provide a web access function.
IF the account was yahoo, gmail, outlook.com, Hotmail.com, live.com etc., it's possible that you may discover that your email as well as your contacts are still available to you.

Thanks you for coming back! my email is with easily mail.co uk.... and it only holds about 500 before needing to be emptied. It is the folders of 'paper trails' which I had in my inbox tree which is the biggest problem. I did not keep folders in my web mail. Does my old 'Live Mail' still exist anywhere else?. Very disappointed with repair shop...they did not ask me to back them up myself and I paid them £85 for the pleasure of taking my lap top right back to a new install :( I know I should have done it myself in the past :(

Hi - I had problems with windows 10 un invited update slowing my lap top. took it to a PC repair shop where they re-installed windows 10. I was using windows live mail [i think] in Windows 7 and had filed many important emails in various folders. I also had a full contacts books. From the reinstall everything has gone - I have lost all my previous emails and my contacts. Any ideas gratefully received!!?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no way of knowing exactly what they did or how they did it.
Typically, I believe, LiveMail keeps its' data in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsLIveMail
I suppose that there is some slight possibility, if they didn't completely wipe the previous install that some remnants might have been preserved either there or a similar folder but located in C:\Windows.OLD\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsLIveMail

Perhaps someone with more in-depth knowledge of Windows Live Mail may have additional information to contribute. I've not personally used it in quite some time and as a consequence, am not all that familiar with its' inner workings.

Ask a Question