Microsoft Edge does not appear in background apps

Reaction score
Every time I wake my computer up the Edge browser pops open. I never use it and want to disable it. I Googled for directions.
These are the directions I followed and Edge is not listed:
To disable apps from running in the background wasting system resources, use these steps:
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Privacy.
  3. Click on Background apps.
  4. Under the "Choose which apps can run in the background" section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.

Reaction score
GREAT IDEA! The only problem is that Edge isn't listed in "Choose which apps can run in the background" . Any other ideas?

Reaction score
That's what I said. That's why I posted this to see if someone could help with it.

Reaction score
Every time I wake my computer up the Edge browser pops open. I never use it and want to disable it. I Googled for directions.
To disable apps from running in the background wasting system resources, use these steps:
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Privacy.
  4. Under the "Choose which apps can run in the background" section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.
See if Edge is listed in the Startup tab of Task Manager. Right click taskbar, Left click Task Manager, Left click Startup tab. Also check C:\Users\ {username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, and C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Reaction score
I'm stumped. Microsoft edge does not appear in any of these places, and yet, every time I log in or wake my computer up it opens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm stumped. Microsoft edge does not appear in any of these places, and yet, every time I log in or wake my computer up it opens.
I'm not clear as to what exactly you want to do here, but.....
IF you want to prevent apps such as Edge from starting when you start your computer, you might want to adjust settings here
Settings -> Privacy -> Activity History
AND
Consider clearing the history and perhaps turning it off for your account.

Reaction score
Have you dealt with the initial Edge Welcome screen? It appears on a new, and often on a cumulative update.
You can also try this:
Settings - System - Notifications and actions.
Turn OFF both the Windows (Top section) and edge (Lower section.

Reaction score
I'm not clear as to what exactly you want to do here, but.....
IF you want to prevent apps such as Edge from starting when you start your computer, you might want to adjust settings here
Settings -> Privacy -> Activity History
AND
Consider clearing the history and perhaps turning it off for your account.
I do not have "Activity History." How do I clear history and turn it off?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Which version of Windows 10 are you currently running?
You should see something like this

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems like you still have the same resources available as I do.
You could turn the slider next to your account to "Off"
AND
Uncheck the top box.

By the way, I edited your image file so as to obscure your email account.
It's not generally a good idea to post your email account on public forums, so as to avoid possible spam and such.

Last edited:
Reaction score
  1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Privacy.
I was for so long not able to figure out how to get spotlight working again.
I opened the microsoft edge browser and enabled it to sync. then made sure the settings were on spotlight and voila. it was back.

Reaction score
I was for so long not able to figure out how to get spotlight working again.
I opened the microsoft edge browser and enabled it to sync. then made sure the settings were on spotlight and voila. it was back.

I tried this method and syncing is okay but can't find spotlight and voila. Where should I find them?

Reaction score
I tried this method and syncing is okay but can't find spotlight and voila. Where should I find them?
I opened Microsoft Edge, clicked the icon in the top right that when you float your mouse over it, it says "Personal." I hit sync. Then I opened up my computer's settings>personalizations>lock screen>drop down menu and choose spotlight. voila.

Reaction score
I opened Microsoft Edge, clicked the icon in the top right that when you float your mouse over it, it says "Personal." I hit sync. Then I opened up my computer's settings>personalizations>lock screen>drop down menu and choose spotlight. voila.
I can only see windows spotlight but not spotlight. voila, I have selected the windows spotlight option but has changed nothing. I need some more assistance

Reaction score
I can only see windows spotlight but not spotlight. voila, I have selected the windows spotlight option but has changed nothing. I need some more assistance
This is an old post concerning a different topic. You may get more assistance if post as a new thread.

Ask a Question