Microsoft Finally Agrees to Provide Info on Windows 10 Updates

Reaction score
Interesting comment!
How do you use the hide tool in Windows 10?
I have installed the MS ad-on for this function, but it doesn't do too good a job on my computer.

Bif

Reaction score
Very simple dave,just save it to your desktop and run it at your leisure preferably before running Windows Updates and see what it finds..at that point you can either hide which will stop the questionable updates from downloading until you "unhide" or show it.It's proven effective so far as there was one update for a questionable battery management utility which has been permanently "hidden"!

This site won't allow me to upload a cab file so here is the direct link..

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Reaction score
2nd question. How do you save it to your desktop? Mine start downloading and installing automatically.
I guess I am just not with you!! Save it and run it before??

That is the link where I originally downloaded the add-on which I mentioned.
But the page only shows how to remove an update AFTER it has been applied. I am discussing how to prevent them uploading in the first instance. Their tool offered me updates to hide, which had never had and, in one case, offered me one to hide which had nothing whatsoever to do with my computer, so I gave up on it.

Bif

Reaction score
When you click on the link to download it gives you the option to either open it with explorer or save it to your pc/desktop at least that what I get when I clicked it,now you're confusing me o_O once saved to the desktop just double click it and click next,it scans for what updates are currently available and lets you choose to include them to be downloaded or hide them.At least that is how I'm perceiving it to work.
I had no issues with using it so far..once again...touch wood!

Reaction score
Tks. But I'll give it a miss. Twice run and each time it offered to hide Silverlight, which I do not have on my computer and which has never been given in the compulsory updates.

Reaction score
I became intrigued with this, and did some investigating on another laptop, which, for safety, had some sound images ready to reinstall if necessary. Experiments led to these conclusions. I was particularly interested in how it could find updates to hide, which I had not yet been offered.

When you run the KB, even if it is installed, it won't find the update you wish to hide

I does, however find any drivers, etc. that you have deleted, using the Device manager. You can also uninstall updates which you think have given you problems, in the Settings, of course. The kb will also find these. .

I also found that, once hidden, there didn't seem to be any way, should you change your mind and want to try again, to reinstall it. It seemed to be gone forever.
I have no ideas on why it came up with Silverlight. I guess, at some time during the initial installations, I was offered it and rejected it.

Reaction score
How many users actually care what is in a MS update. MS is not going to push an update that wil harm your machine intentionally.

Bif

Reaction score
How many users actually care what is in a MS update. MS is not going to push an update that wil harm your machine intentionally.
Not entirely true Gideon,they will however push updates that are "batch" updates that have not been tested for the masses and many of these will in fact harm computers...case in point,MS was pushing an NEC battery management driver that has rendered many pc's useless after downloading..
I for one care about everything that downloads on my pc,can I stop them?..maybe..maybe not but I still want to know what's coming down the pipe if at all possible.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not entirely true Gideon,they will however push updates that are "batch" updates that have not been tested for the masses and many of these will in fact harm computers...case in point,MS was pushing an NEC battery management driver that has rendered many pc's useless after downloading..
I for one care about everything that downloads on my pc,can I stop them?..maybe..maybe not but I still want to know what's coming down the pipe if at all possible.
Well I did say intentionally which means with intent to harm..

Ask a Question