Microsoft gives up on Windows 10 Mobile

Reaction score
From the BBC
The company's Windows 10 chief has tweeted that developing new features and hardware for the Mobile version of the OS was no longer a "focus".

Joe Belfiore added that he had also switched to Android himself.

Windows 10 Mobile tried to attract users by letting them run the same "universal apps" on both their PCs and handsets, but the concept failed to catch on.

The OS accounted for just 0.03% of the global market - based on smartphone shipments - between April and June, according to research company IDC.

The market intelligence provider said the news had been a long time coming.

"There wasn't a wide range of devices running Windows 10 Mobile, so it wasn't attractive to retailers or operators," said IDC's Francisco Jeronimo.

"And from a consumer perspective, the operating system didn't provide as good an experience as Android or iOS."

more here http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41551546

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Another fine example of Microsoft's unidirectional customer loyalty.
I'll just put mine in the box, in the closet alongside my Zune music players

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A real shame, especially for any existing Windows phone users. They have dropped and changed a lot of their mobile products over the years, enough that I wouldn't touch one for a long time. Surface RT, Windows Phones, have all gone the same way - even after we've been told "this is different, consolidated, etc...."

I wonder how long until a new Phone from MS emerges ;).

Reaction score
Well, I'll keep mine for a while. Old age tells yet again. It is the only one I have, where the keyboard is big enough for me to.
1. See
2. Touch with my fat fingers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
FYI there is a long article on Ars technica today about this. Interesting.
Thanks. Just read it and you're right, good article.
I wonder how long until a new Phone from MS emerges
Not long. Evidently, IF you want a laptop that is also a Cell Phone...... December.
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-surface-pro-lte-everything-you-need-to-know
Although holding that against the side of your head may look a bit peculiar and awkward (like an old boom box on your shoulder).
Well, I'll keep mine for a while
Me too. I actually love my Alcatel IDOL 4s but I realize that when I next decide to upgrade my selection will grudgingly be an Android.
As Ian said
A real shame

Reaction score
I transitioned from Android to IPhone a year or so back, never considered a Windows phone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I try to keep the money I spend on cell phones, somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 bucks (U.S. dollars) so Apple and I will never be simpatico, for that same reason I will never own any of their other tech offerings (desktops, laptops or tablets).
No doubt they make a great product. I just can't afford to play in that arena, as I'm retired. IF I were still a tech road-warrior traveling all over as I did during my career it might be a different story.

Reaction score
I am also retired. I look upon my iPhone as a supercomputer in my pocket. I also have an iPad but I would not buy an Apple laptop or desktop.

Bif

Reaction score
I'm not retired, just cheap...err...I mean frugal, and our Lumia 520s have filled that "pseudo" smart phone void in our lives.
When the battery buys the farm, we will migrate to Android...we have an allergy to the whole "i" world although Apple does make a good product..and again we are cheap, damnit... frugal!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I like to think of myself as being fiscally responsible, but.....
I'm pretty sure, I'm just lazy.
As phones become more and more like
a supercomputer in my pocket
Swapping phones is almost as big a PITA as swapping computers or hard drives, not to mention learning or relearning a different OS.
Especially when you're talking about going from Windows to Android or iOS.
Backups help some, but mostly for data as Apps and the interface are likely going to require some familiarization

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello all... I'm thinking just because MS is ending their 10 mobile phones it shouldn't be the end in using the phone. I believe someone will figure a way to load a different OS unto it and be able to use it, maybe even android

Ask a Question