SOLVED MS will not allow me to access my MS account-WTH!

Reaction score
Every time I try to access my Microsoft account it does not recognize my password. So I go thru the motions of getting a temporary pin number, then change my password to a new one, then log out without a problem, I think.

But then if I try to log back into my Microsoft account, I'm back where I started in that Microsoft doesn't recognize my new password. I have tried this several times, but seem to be stuck in a loop.

This is getting very frustrating. I'm beginning to think Microsoft doesn't want me to use my Microsoft account.

Reaction score
Not sure from your post how you are getting a temp pin number? Normal procedure is that you are directed to the Microsoft pages, where you complete the requirements to obtain a new password. It then has to be verified by a means previously setup - usually your mobile number.

Reaction score
I get the temp pin number from Microsoft sent to my email address. Then the next screen is to enter a new MS account password. After entering the new password a second time, I've gotten as far as MS accepting it. Then MS asks for my Windows password one last time. I'm guessing that's the six-digit number I enter to go from the lock screen to the home screen. That is the password it doesn't like.

Reaction score
So, you're saying I should enter my Microsoft account password, NOT the password I used to go from the lock screen to the desktop on my laptop when it was (and still is) a local account. So in other words, my Microsoft account password is really my Windows password???

Reaction score
If you are logging into Windows with a local account, then, yes. The Microsoft account is independent of it
I should ask why you are logging in separately to a Microsoft account
If you look in settings- Accounts, it gives you the opportunity to log into Windows with the Microsoft account. There are advantages to this, but that is your choice

Reaction score
No help so far. I am trying to switch a laptop from a local account to a Microsoft account login. Any questions on that statement? I have had a Microsoft account for years on another laptop that I set up when I bought it.

I've watched the tutorials, I've followed the prompts in the process without problems. On the screen where Microsoft says I have to key in my 'Windows password' it says any number I enter is invalid. I have tried my Microsoft account password. I have tried my local account password that up to now I've keyed in on the lock screen to get to my desktop. Both invalid.

So, where/how would I find my Windows password or reset it? Is it the four digit pin #?

My only concern is up until recently this laptop is the only one I have that on paper is compatible with Windows 11. The only thing needed is to be logged in with a Microsoft account. Maybe i have to just reset the laptop and start from scratch as though I had just purchased it.

Reaction score
What password are you using on the other old laptop? unless you have two M S accounts, it should be the same password

Reaction score
Solved. Purely by chance or luck. I tried any passwords that I had ever used, and by chance one worked. It wasn't my Microsoft account password, and it wasn't my local account password. Mission accomplished

Ask a Question