My microphone works, but Cortana doesn't hear me

Reaction score
My mic is working fine, using my Logitech webcam, but Cortana doesn't hear me. I can record my voice, listen to it, record a video with voice, and the speakers are working fine. But Cortana doesn't hear my voice. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you remember to click the speaker icon in the Cortana field?

You need to do that so Cortana receives your audio input.

Reaction score
My mic is working fine, using my Logitech webcam, but Cortana doesn't hear me. I can record my voice, listen to it, record a video with voice, and the speakers are working fine. But Cortana doesn't hear my voice. Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Reaction score
I've had this happen intermittently. I have fixed it by just setting up the microphone again. Going through the whole speech recognition thing. It will quit after you say the first sentence. Then Cortana can hear me. Like most things Windows, it makes no sense but it may work. And I have Cortana set up to respond to "Hey Cortana" so I don't have to click the speaker icon.

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen to me and the following, seems to have fixed it.
I have attached (tried to) a screen shot of MY Cortana settings.
Left click on YOUR Cortana icon.
Left click on the "settings" icon (to the left).
Do your settings look like my attachment ?
If not, you may want to consider changing them to match the attachment.
Also, please consider clicking on "Getting Started" (in blue) after clicking on the "Setting" icon.
Of note:
My windows version is 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)

Attachments

• Cortana settings.jpg
    Cortana settings.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,624
Reaction score
:( tried everything suggested above.However, no joy.
OS Windows 10 pro x 64 bit. version 1703 (build 15063.447)

Bif

Reaction score
After 25 years of marriage, I can safely tell you that all women tend to turn a blind ear at some point...;)

Reaction score
:D I'snt that the truth! Microsoft must, in this case be all female. Lol.

Reaction score
This can occur if:
  • certain privacy settings are set in Settings
  • user is not speaking loud enough, or there's a decent amount of ambient noise
Have any Microphone settings enhancements been tried (such as Microphone Focus/Beam Forming)?

Reaction score
Why would it be necessary to use beam forming audio equiptment to get Microsoft to understand you?
The blasted Cortana either works or it does not!

We the public should not be Microsoft guinea Pigs for Microsofts inability to produce a product that should work, but does not!!

I have 3 microphones to choose from; 1.Headset 2. Monitor built in microphone. 3. Free standing Logitech microphone.

None work on "Cortana"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why would it be necessary to use beamforming audio equiptment to get Microsoft to understand you? The blasted Cortana either works or it does not!
The beam forming setting (it's a control panel setting for the microphone, not physical equipment) causes the microphone to create a listening cone in front of it, and dismissing sounds from outside of the cone. To a microphone, there's a fair amount of background noise/static it picks up, including air movements, which beam forming can help.

It's also recommended to personalize Cortana to your speech pattern once you're able to get the microphone to adequately pick up commands.

Bif

Reaction score
Biff I'm just glad that Cortana hasn't made it to GPS and auto navigation systems.
Recalculating... recalculating... please turn it to another radio station please!... I said turn left!...;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm Using CCleaner to clear Cortana data and it work for me.

Open CCleaner and go to
Cleaner > Applications > Windows Store > Cortana*
right click on Cortana* and Clean it.
:)

Ask a Question