New Win 10 HP won't open FTW correctly

Reaction score
I had a 2014 HP win 10 Home Ed. that worked FTM fine. It crashed went away. I now have a new HP 2020 Desktop, Model H7V3Q84, also Home Ed. I use Family Tree World. FTW a lot in genealogy, when I click the Icon, a flag come up that says "Can not create the directory C:\windows\temp\FTW", end --- nothing.

If I RIGHT click the FTW Icon and click "Run As Administrator" it will open the program but it takes about 4-5 minutes, long enough for PC to send a little notice "FTW is not responding" then all at once my file will open. Any body got an idea how to cure this????

Any assistance much appreciated!!!

Reaction score
I have Family Tree Maker 2006 installed on Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.572, works okay but has an issue with a driver but haven't found out which one yet, Device Manager shows no issues.
1602811341732.png

Reaction score
I'm running Family Tree Maker 2009 and it works fine. I wonder what driver would be causing your issue.

OP, I've never tried that program before. Maybe try reinstalling it. Try right clicking the installer and running it as admin, if it already doesn't.

Reaction score
OP, I've never tried that program before. Maybe try reinstalling it. Try right clicking the installer and running it as admin, if it already doesn't.
As I recall the World Family Tree was a feature included in the FTM program. I think the Personal Ancestry File of the LDS archives had something similar.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Starting a new thread in the "Support" sub-forum was unnecessary.
I could have simply moved it for you, which is what I've done, so as to avoid any confusion
I've also deleted my remarks regarding the preview forum as well as your duplicate

Reaction score
Excuse please... I'm new on forum regulations and such. Thank you for all you do. Thought I was doing the right thing for the right reason, may be I may get the hang of this by the time I'm 90. I spend most of my extra time indexing on Family Search, there I really know what I'm doing after almost 20 years. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I have Family Tree Maker 2006 installed on Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.572, works okay but has an issue with a driver but haven't found out which one yet, Device Manager shows no issues.
View attachment 12560
I am getting the same error message and was wondering if you ever found out which driver was causing the incompatibility.
S Butler
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
I got 2008 to work but decided to get 2019 as one of my clients got it [she had 2012 but loaned/lost the install number and disc] and I needed to know more.

Never did the driver identified, finally had to give up on that Win10 machine 6 months ago [came with Win8 in 2015] as the plastic fittings/brackets in the case started breaking, couldn't properly install/run Win11 anyway.

Last edited:

Ask a Question