No restore points!

Reaction score
The number of times I have needed system restore and there ravnlt been any there. I didn't need one this time but had a look as I do from time to time and there were none. This seems to have been the same from for windows versions in my opinion. Why on earth don't MS build into windows automatic weekly or similar restore points. I have looked into setting it up myself but it seemed way too complicated.

Is there a simple way to automatically create them?

Reaction score
Restore points are usually deleted after a major Windows version update, if this is happening randomly then try turning off system restore & turning it on again.
You can automatically create restore points via this method:

Reaction score
Are you logged in as an admin?

You may be better using imaging software rather than relying on system restore.
I use Macrium Reflect.

Reaction score
I back up all my files twice to hard drives and again to google drive. How would I know if I am logged in as admin? If there was a choice when setting up I would certainly have done this.

Reaction score
Click on the Start button, the Start Menu will pop up.
Right-click the name (or icon, depending on the version Windows 10) of the current account, located at the top left part of the Start Menu, then click on Change account settings.
The Settings window will pop up and under the name of the account if you see the word "Administrator" then it is an Administrator account.

Reaction score
Open a Run box (Winkey+r) and type in Systempropertiesadvanced and hit enter. It will open the System Properties where you can use the System Protection tab to modify settings..

But they are removed under certain conditions. I do not know if they would be removed if space on the drive was limited..

Reaction score
Restore points are no longer created by default. you have to manual set to allow.
How to enable System Restore on Windows 10.
  • Open Start .
  • Search for Create a restore point , and click the top result to open the System Properties experience.
  • Under the "Protection Settings" section, select the main "System" drive, and click the Configure button.
  • Select the Turn on system protection option. Quick tip: Windows 10 can manage the space automatically, but under the "Disk Space Usage" section ...
  • Click the Apply button.
  • Click the OK button.

Reaction score
Yes that's how it is set up but today when I checked there were no restore points. Surely windows can automatically do one once a week or something?

Reaction score
many 3d party program will remove restore points. so i recommend you chek all your 3d party's.

Reaction score
What do you mean by a 3rd party program and what would you check for? Are you saying Windows should normally produce these regular restore points? I've had the same problem with different computers and different Windows versions for years.

Reaction score
That link is all very well but I have a memory like a sieve and in a few weeks there will be a point where I have no restore points.

Reaction score
I suggest if your having that many problems then I recommend you get a Backup Program and make the full images you want to restore if needed on a external USB device. many have a trial period, and IMO 100% worth while..
I my self use 1.) Acronis 2020. 2.)ParagonHard Disk Manager, 3.)MacriumReflect 4.) Snapshot. I make a different bk depends on what
and every new OS Update I make prior to. and also use Restore Point for minor thngs.. never had it fail to make when ask. nor to restore but then i do use Cmd Pmt from bootable media.

Reaction score
That link is all very well but I have a memory like a sieve and in a few weeks there will be a point where I have no restore points.
Looks like a Pencil and paper notepad is what you need. to write down and remember. 77 and use P&P lots (my clients) all have different methods to do and i have to remember them all. Time is $$$, and I for one hate to waste either.

Ask a Question