SOLVED Norton Screwed Things Up.

Reaction score
Hello. A few months ago I installed Norton Security Online that Xfinity provides to its customers. Yesterday a window popped up stating that my subscription has expired. I called Xfinity, and they told me to contact Norton. The Norton rep had me uninstall/reinstall several times using Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer, because I kept getting an unable to install do to browser error. He finally said he would escalate my problem and someone would give me a call. No call so far. I decided to run the Norton Removal Tool to make sure all Norton stuff was gone.
I decided to go back to using Window 10 Defender. Now there is a problem with Defender. I have a red X on the taskbar icon. When I click on that, under Virus and Threat Protection, it says "your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization".
Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Windows 10 version: 1909

Reaction score
Have you set up Defender? All settings/security and update/windows security. Norton takes control when installed, it should have defaulted back to Windows Security Defender when you uninstalled Norton. You may have to manually set Defender back up

Reaction score
Yep I've done that. That is when I get the "your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". I take it that the "organization" is Norton? For some reason, even though I uninstalled Norton, there seems to be some remnants there that makes Defender think I have another antivirus installed.

Reaction score
Hi Spats,

try upgrading to the latest version of Win 10 which may also help?. :)

Reaction score
Yep I've done that. That is when I get the "your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". I take it that the "organization" is Norton? For some reason, even though I uninstalled Norton, there seem to be some remnants there that makes Defender think I have another antivirus installed.
Are you signed using an Admin Account? Norton uninstall pretty well and completely using the Norton uninstall tool. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881

Reaction score
Ok, I did a Windows 10 upgrade. I upgraded from version 1909 to 2004. That did the trick. Windows Defender is now working. :) I don't think I will try to install Norton again for awhile, even though it's free from Xfinity. Thanks for the suggestion Wolfie. I didn't know there was an upgrade. Is there a way to be notified of Windows upgrades?

Reaction score
Norton's is a terrible product. It used to be an industry leader, but it's a bloated mess that's virtually impossible to completely uninstall even with their tool. Defender has as good if not better detection rates, and it's way lighter on system resources.

Windows upgrade's are bi yearly. Usually April and September, but have been late the last few times. You will be notified via Windows Updates when it's available. They usually stagger the release, and hold back when a PC isn't fully compatible.

Reaction score
Hi Spats,

as @BigFeet said, check in Settings > Updates & Security and sometimes you will see a message that a major system update is available, I have noticed that you may have to actually click on it to force the upgrade, or just check on this forum as someone will always post when a major upgrade is available!.

Please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

1593408442525.png

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. Yep no more Norton. Went back to using Defender and Malwarebytes. I will check more often in Updates and Security.

Ask a Question