SOLVED Optional Updates

T_J

Reaction score
After upgrading from 1909 to 2004 on Dec 2; I have the driver updates below in Optional updates. [I did KB4586853 optional update last night].
Should I update any of these 5 drivers? [or if it's not broke don't fix it] Ordered Inspiron 660 in Dec 2012 from Dell website (had W7); seems to be running great with v2004. I already made some images of hard drive / v2004 for emergency use.
Del660W10v2004.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
These I would update unless your computer is a notebook then I would update to the latest available for your particular notebook. Basically, these are common drivers for your hardware and Intell systems.
As always you should create an OS drive image and C:\ Partition image back up before installing any driver updates. make it really easy to get back where you were before the update, even if you can't get back into windows!! Macrium Reflect Free is the leading Image backup, program around these days there are others that will work for some people MR works for everyone. Here is a video showing how to backup and restore with MR

T_J

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've been using both Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and Norton Ghost 15 with Dell 660 / Windows 10 since Feb 2016. No problems with either; although I do only use a Ghost boot CD to run it's program [W7 installed Ghost 15 program did not survive the Feb 2016 W10 upgrade process]. I've already made a Windows image and a Ghost image of the v2004 hard drive. Dell Inspiron 660 is a desktop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Time to upgrade none of that will be reliable on Windows 10 and all can be replaced with MR Free Will save you countless hours restoring Windows back up hasn't been reliable for a long time and is depreciated in Windows 10, Ghost is way outdated and will not restore a UEFI or 64-bit system. That's all up to you what you use. but MR is 100% reliable in the modern world.

T_J

Reaction score
I download/install Macrium Reflect Free Edition v7.2.5107 on Sept 8, 2020. Then followed a MR tutorial exactly from a reputable website, and got error trying to make a simple image. I did some reading about MR error; then restored hard drive with a 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' image that I made prior to installing MR7. I'll give Macrium Reflect another try soon.

Thanks, I did as you suggested, and dl/install all the optional driver updates.

MR-error.jpg

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
So far so good with v2004, Thanks Clintlgm.

v2004-updates.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
I download/install Macrium Reflect Free Edition v7.2.5107 on Sept 8, 2020. Then followed a MR tutorial exactly from a reputable website, and got error trying to make a simple image. I did some reading about MR error; then restored hard drive with a 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' image that I made prior to installing MR7. I'll give Macrium Reflect another try soon.

Thanks, I did as you suggested, and dl/install all the optional driver updates.

View attachment 12796
This looks like serious disk errors or OS error this was an issue with your hardware or system, The way MR works is it make a Volume Snapshot and backs that up. If you have enough errors that is can't create this volume snapshot you have issues that need to be resolved.

T_J

Reaction score
I may have found the problem. or not?? thanks Clintlgm
disks with non standard sector sizes. No (hard drive & My Passport, both 512 Bytes/Sector)
VSS fails due to modification by 3rd party software. maybe
Symantec Ghost 15 was installed in Windows 7; upgraded to W10; Ghost would not run in W10, is shown in Apps list, can click on uninstall, but after couple minutes get uninstall errors.
Dell has 2 VSS Provider; Microsoft and Symantec (Norton Ghost); GREEN window trim below
Should I highlight Symantec Registry Key (as shown at very bottom) and hit the delete key? and then hit X in top-right of Registry Editor window?
Info below from Macrium Reflex website.
VSS-error.jpg

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
I just saw that I can right click on the Symantec Registry Key (shown at bottom of previous post) and select delete.

Does this sound like a good move? If I don't reply for a week or two, it was a bad move. maybe next week

Reaction score
Have you uninstalled Norton Ghost?, if you have, it will be safe to delete the reg entry!. :)

T_J

Reaction score
After clicking on Norton Ghost Uninstall in Setting/Apps, get an Error, and Norton Ghost doesn't uninstall. Ghost is not shown in Start - Program list. Ghost was installed in W7; not functional after 2016 W10 upgrade.
Screenshot-(197).jpg

I don't do W10 clean install due to would lose Dell installed free software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 & Adobe Premiere Elements 9; MS Office Starter 2010.
Deleting Symantec Registry key looks complicated. Probably stop while Dell is still working. Thanks
Screenshot-(203).jpg

T_J

Reaction score
If deleting Symantec Registry key(s) creates other problems; will my hard drive image made last week restore Registry to prior state before I start messing with regedit? thanks

Reaction score
Create an image of what you have now and then do a manual delete of the stubborn files! ;)

T_J

Reaction score
I downloaded Norton Remove & Reinstall tool (NRnR), and just ran Removal tool. It got rid of Norton Ghost that was in the Settings/App list; but did not get rid of Symantec VSS Provider in Registry. So time to make a new image. thanks Wolfie

Reaction score
Keep us posted please so it helps others, the more feedback you give , can be a great help to someone else!. :) :) :)

T_J

Reaction score
OK. I made new image on Dec 7. Will post how things turn out. may be soon or not soon ?? have to go shopping today.

T_J

Reaction score
Time to take a break.
  • ran Norton NRnR tool (got rid of Norton Ghost listing in Settings/Apps)
  • deleted Symantec VSS Provider in Registry (due to Macrium info in post 10); restart PC;
  • installed Macrium Reflex Free, 7.3.5365
  • created a MR7 image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows (worked, NO Errors)
  • created MR7 bootable Rescue media (CD booted OK)
  • there are few (non VSS) Symantec or Norton things in Registry here and there, I left them alone
MACRIUM.jpg

Ask a Question