Overloading the CPU... & Script Error.

Reaction score
Even upon startup, with no programs started (by me), Task Manager often tells me it's running @ 100%. If I open Firefox, things hang for a minute or so. I'm running an ASUS Aspire R3-131T with 8GB ram, but only the 32GB eMMC rom. Any way to improve performance?
Another issue is I keep getting an ERROR MESSAGE saying it's a Script Error, Line 0, Char 0, Script error, Color 0, URL: HTTPS://ubp-common-us-prods3amazonaws.com/require/require.js . No matter which I select, Y or N, it goes away only to return a few minutes later. Annoying, but not tragic.
Any help, greatly appreciated!
norm
P.S. Clicking the URL goes nowhere...

Reaction score
Have performed a clean boot and identify the problem by process of elimination. I would also run sfc /scannow. What antivirus program do you run?
Have you tried temporarily disabling AV it and see if it eliminates your Hi CPU usage .

Reaction score
To Wolfie: Version 1607 or so it says on my computer, but after following your lead, I get it telling me I'm running Version 14393 with 15663 being the latest. I'm upgrading now...
Norton: I'll try after the upgrade...

Reaction score
Well, that got me nowhere! I tried following the process from that url and got nothing. I DO have automatic Win Updates, that do run quite often.
Norton- Not exactly sure what you mean by a "clean boot". Are you suggesting a reboot in Safe Mode? Not real sure what to look for, to enable/disable. Win Defender is up and running. I haven't tried disabling it. Should I?

Reaction score
Windows Defender is a good AV program. I see no point in uninstalling or suspending temporarily. I thought that maybe you were running AVG or Norton...they can be resource hogs and slow start ups to a crawl.
A clean boot allows you to disable all but the necessary Windows drivers which are required for start up. If your machine boots up OK, you can then start the process of elimination, that is, reinstall drivers individually or in groups until you identify the offending driver(s)
Attached is a MS link with a detailed explanation and step by step clean boot procedure.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Reaction score
Hi 1 abnormal norm,

do you have Java installed and are you using Internet Explorer rather than Edge browser?. ;)

Ask a Question